London SE1 community website

Super sewer coming near you very soon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Sunday 7 November 2010 10.35am
Just a thought...

What about actually closing the eastern section of Druid Street that runs alongside the railway track and connects to Abbey Street? They could then do the construction on the street itself. Its a wide street but seems virtually devoid of traffic most of the time (only being used to access the railway arches). They could maintain the access with Abbey Street at one end and block the other end near the junction with Tanner Street for the construction, with minimial impact on traffic flow.

This would save the Alfred Slater park and the construction would be set back further from the housing compared to working in the Alfred Slater Park itself. (Although I fully appreciate that the people living along the eastern section of Druid Street would be impacted, but it looks as if construction is going to impact on residents regardless as to which site is selected).
AD
Sunday 7 November 2010 1.20pm
The sewer is going to predominantly run under the Thames, so the access points need to be along the river.
I don't think the owners of the sites at Potters Fields or Chambers Wharf - where plans exist for (much needed) dense residential development - will entertain the idea of integrating infrastructure on their land (or be forced by compulsory purchase). This only leaves government owned land as a viable alternative.
Being realistic, on the Southbank, surely it's Potters Field Park or Kings Stairs, or nothing?
Would King Edward Memorial Park on the opposite bank work? There is already a vent for the Rotherhithe tunnel there, so maybe it would get a bit crowded!
Personally, I feel the flyers being distributed are losing the argument by exagerating the impact and crucially, the long term benefit of a clean Thames would outweigh the temporary loss of the park.
If you look at Crossrail, the beautiful Finsbury Circus has been dug up, but very few people realise it's temporarily gone, and I am confident it will be reinstated to as beautiful a place it was before.
On Balance I also believe Kings Square Gardens will be reinstated, and that the benefit of the infrastructure outweighs the drawbacks.
AD
Monday 8 November 2010 12.48pm
This is the proposed vent on the sewer, when all the work is done!

Nimbys will complain that the construction will take out the park for 7 years, but right across the road is Southwark Park, so kids can play and dogs walked there.
Remember this is needed to stop the Thames getting polluted with raw sewage if it rains a lot (currently on average once a week).
Monday 8 November 2010 3.23pm
I don't think any argument for it only to be on public land is a fair one. Open space is scarce to say the least and to take away the Druid Street playground would be one step too far. I don't speak for the KSG group as I don't live in SE16.

The Thames is one thing, but space for local kids is another. We've managed thus far with the sewage/water system as it is (dirty Thames), so I suggest Thames Water puts it on hold until they find out a less intrusive way of carrying out these works - perhaps one of the private development sites can have this imposed on them as a planning condition? Seems like a good idea to me. This isn't a case of NIMBY but one of practical need for local kids to have somewhere to play.
Thursday 11 November 2010 11.09pm
Speaking of the facility to be built under the Alfred Salter playground: as I understand, one of the constraints is that it has to be built somewhere along the existing sewer. If they build it further away from the sewer, this means digging an additional tunnel to connect the site to the sewer, hence more disturbance and higher cost. Since the sewer goes mainly under residential properties, the choice is restricted. See the map and explanation in Thames Water consultation document:
http://www.thamestunnelconsultation.co.uk/pdf/Druid_Street.pdf

However, they are now considering some alternative sites, prompted by the meeting with FCHS TMO. See this link for the information about this meeting:
http://www.fairhousing.org.uk/downloads/ThamesTunnel.pdf
Friday 12 November 2010 7.49am
AD wrote:
If you look at Crossrail, the beautiful Finsbury Circus has been dug up, but very few people realise it's temporarily gone, and I am confident it will be reinstated to as beautiful a place it was before.
On Balance I also believe Kings Square Gardens will be reinstated, and that the benefit of the infrastructure outweighs the drawbacks.

Although I am a resident of SE16 and live within 200 metres of this planned sewer construction, I am not unduly perturbed by it.
The only nagging doubt being possible subsidence in the area ensuing from the tunnelling.
Both my children reached the conclusion in their early twenties that this country was finished as far as they were concerned, and being imbued with a good work ethic they upped sticks and moved to separate continents where they thrive.
I can understand local parents misgivings about the children's play area, but perhaps selfishly I'm not too concerned, as my grandchildren do their playing in Brisbane and Madrid.
In closing I would add that comparing Finsbury Circus to KSG is a definite chalk and cheese matter.
I seriously doubt that many people in this city have ever seen Finsbury Circus, or even know where it is, let alone noticed any changes in its appearance due to the Crossrail project.
Friday 12 November 2010 11.08am
will it pong horribly?

I remember looking around a property in Isleworth and the smell in the vicinity of the sewage works was horrendous. I assumed that was why the house was cheap, but still did not buy.
Saturday 13 November 2010 12.27am
I went to the Lambeth consultation last week, and asked the question about whether the vents would smell. Obviously, they're not going to give guarantees, but I was told:

a) The air will be filtered through carbon filters. It won't just emerge in original state

b) The air in the sewers will be circulated, so any smells will not be allowed to linger, and if air is forced up through the vents, it will be circulated air and not stale air.

From that, I deduced that smell would not be likely.
Saturday 13 November 2010 9.45am
Tom Pepper wrote:
AD wrote:

In closing I would add that comparing Finsbury Circus to KSG is a definite chalk and cheese matter.
I seriously doubt that many people in this city have ever seen Finsbury Circus, or even know where it is, let alone noticed any changes in its appearance due to the Crossrail project.

I take your point Mr. Pepper about the comparison, naturally you as a taxi driver are familiar with Finsbury Circus, whereas thousands won't be, but outside of Rotherhithe and Bermondsey I doubt whether many people are aware of exactly where KSG is either.
In writing this, please don't think that I support the proposed sewer works, or even oppose it.
AD
Saturday 13 November 2010 10.53am
[quote Debrajoan][quote Tom Pepper][quote AD]
On Balance I also believe Kings Square Gardens will be reinstated, and that the benefit of the infrastructure outweighs the drawbacks.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that many people in this city have ever seen Finsbury Circus, or even know where it is, let alone noticed any changes in its appearance due to the Crossrail project.[/quote]

I just thought it relevant that a park was being dug up. The reason the works are so well hidden at Finsbury Circus is due to the hoarding which is painted dark green (blending in with retained trees) and other strict standards imposed by the considerate construction guidelines. I'm confident a large organisation like Thames Water would adhere to such standards.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions