London SE1 community website

New Banksy - The Grange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 12 October 2010 3.21pm
Follows the example of another Banksy in SE1 that was boarded over several years ago. However that one (depicting a little girl) is on a wooden door - more easily detached and sold if the owner wishes to. Ironically, the panel covering it, which was painted in contrasting colours to the original door, was subsequently 'decorated' with a very unimaginative tag.
Tuesday 12 October 2010 8.16pm
It's been covered with 2 sheets of mdf. Personally, I fancy heading down there with a crowbar to liberate it for the public again. Anyone care to join me? ;o)
Tuesday 12 October 2010 10.29pm
oh blimey I'm glad I went and had a look this morning then!It was still there about 10am. I wonder how exactly the owner is planning to sell it.At least the council didn't manage to paint over it!

Here's a photo I managed to take

http://twitpic.com/2x30ls
Wednesday 13 October 2010 6.35pm
hi gwyn my boyfriend wanted to do exactly the same....haha........it was ART such a shame to board it up....
Thursday 14 October 2010 12.31am
just had a look on flicker and found this - the owner boarding it up!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiejones/5075307080/in/photostream/

is it true that those buildings are going to be demolished in a year or so or is that made up?

PS. I'm tempted to write 'Banksy was here' on the board!
Zoe
Thursday 14 October 2010 8.33am
Couldn't he cover it with that see through plastic stuff instead.
Thursday 14 October 2010 2.27pm
I spoke to the owner today and he covered it up temporarily as he does not want vandals damaging it or the council removing it.
Thursday 14 October 2010 3.46pm
Zoe wrote:

That's a great idea. It seems bizarre that in order to 'protect' the it they're covering it over and basically removing it's entire purpose.
Jac
Thursday 14 October 2010 5.07pm
Gwynaethva wrote:
Zoe wrote:

That's a great idea. It seems bizarre that in order to 'protect' the it they're covering it over and basically removing it's entire purpose.

Bizarre..... not at all. He's not protecting for us, he protecting it for himself, the wall was just going to be demolished it's worth a lot more now, than the salvage price of a few bricks. He will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Thursday 14 October 2010 5.16pm
what are they going to build if they are demolishing the building - anyone know>?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions