London SE1 community website

New Banksy - The Grange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
TAK
Thursday 14 October 2010 6.24pm
Jac wrote:
Gwynaethva wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Couldn't he cover it with that see through plastic stuff instead.

That's a great idea. It seems bizarre that in order to 'protect' the it they're covering it over and basically removing it's entire purpose.

Bizarre..... not at all. He's not protecting for us, he protecting it for himself, the wall was just going to be demolished it's worth a lot more now, than the salvage price of a few bricks. He will be laughing all the way to the bank.

But doesn't this mean Banksy has become a victim of his own success?
Surely, his original idea was never for people to actually protect it, let alone get financial gain from it.

Personally I think the beauty of such 'interventions' is the point that some people might notice it and like it, whilst some people probably don't even notice it and would never consider it to be art.
Thursday 14 October 2010 6.29pm
i dont think he gives a sh*t to be honest.

He is up from brizzol to hang out with kevin spacey and paint the waterloo tunnels again. He just probably saw the wall and couldnt help himself...
Saturday 16 October 2010 11.50am
Julia7239 wrote:
what are they going to build if they are demolishing the building - anyone know>?

I saw the following in the comments of http://www.flickr.com/groups/banksy/discuss/72157625001632829/...

Quote:
The owner posted this on the Urban Art Forum.
"Hello there,

I just want to add to this thread, as I own the building on Grange Road.

Firstly, let me start by saying that I have the greatest respect for Banksy, being an artist myself and feel a huge sense of responsibility that he has chosen my wall.

In order to preserve his work, I had to act quickly to save it from ruin and from the local authority removing it, as they have done in the past.

I am motivated to protect it so that both this and future generations are able to enjoy it in the same form as it was created. We need people like Banksy to have freedom of expression through art.

To that end, we will endeavour to facilitate making it available to the public as soon as possible without the threat of further ruin or removal. I am in the fortunate position to be able to offer this to the public in my upcoming art gallery, which is due to be built on the site, and we will do our utmost to safeguard it until then.

In our view, the best way to honour Banksy will be by preserving his work in the original form, so that future generations can enjoy it as much as we can now.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me on:

joe@ozlala.com

Many thanks

Ozlala"
Zoe
Sunday 17 October 2010 1.41pm
It was uncovered again this morning when I went on a follow up visit to the vet......I think the tag next to it actually adds to the whole picture, it would be nice if Banksey came back and added some more animals - lol.

What do people think about having an art gallery there?
Sunday 17 October 2010 3.13pm
Zoe wrote:
What do people think about having an art gallery there?

There goes the neighbourhood...
*-)
Sunday 24 October 2010 9.10pm
(Presumably the owner) has put a sheet of perspex over it well sealed all round to protect it and good for him as the unimaginative vandals have homed in and you bet the council would paint over it even if they don't care about the street lights.
At least it would distract them from cutting down street trees for a bit.
Good on the owner anyway.
Zoe
Monday 25 October 2010 6.10pm
I'm glad to see it covered and protected but also visible, well done Mr building owner.
Tuesday 26 October 2010 2.39pm
Wow banksy in the area, are there any others in se1?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions