London SE1 community website

Book Sunday Lunch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 29 October 2010 7.10pm
La Martinet wrote:
The Royal Oak in Tabard Street seems to be the favoured place. See Royal Oak reviews
I have been once and was impressed with the menu but sadly, ended up ordering the wrong thing and it wasn't good at all (Sorry can't remember what it was. I have obviously blocked it from my mind but it wasn't one of the roasts) but everyone else chose well and was very happy.

It's a small pub though so 10 could be tricky.

Royal Oak has an upstairs function room, which I think you can reserve/book for large groups.
jw
Friday 29 October 2010 10.48pm
I believe it was the fishcakes you had La Martinet. The roasts at the Royal Oak are great and a good price too.

Not much help now, but I will be opening the Laughing Gravy for Sunday lunches in the New Year for those interested
Saturday 30 October 2010 12.01am
Last Sunday I had roast partridge in the Royal Oak. All the usual potatoes and veg, etc, but the partridge was served on a piece of fried bread, with a side of bread sauce, and with a pile of what I can only describe as fried breadcrumbs with bacon rind. Don't understand the reason for so much bread, and I left the crumbs, but the meal was otherwise enjoyable, helped I'm sure by a couple of pints of Harvey's mild.
Saturday 30 October 2010 7.18am
The Royal Oak upstairs room is where we usually have our Se1 Christmas Dinner...it's super. Holds about 30 sitting down (at a pinch).
Monday 1 November 2010 10.58am
mogoot wrote:
Last Sunday I had roast partridge in the Royal Oak. All the usual potatoes and veg, etc, but the partridge was served on a piece of fried bread, with a side of bread sauce, and with a pile of what I can only describe as fried breadcrumbs with bacon rind. Don't understand the reason for so much bread, and I left the crumbs, but the meal was otherwise enjoyable, helped I'm sure by a couple of pints of Harvey's mild.

This is the classic way to serve partridge. How wonderful! I'm off to the Royal Oak.
Monday 1 November 2010 2.18pm
Sunday lunch yesterday at Goldsmiths and I recommend it! Only gripe - could have had more veg - but that's just personal preference. Lovely roast potatoes and more-ish gravy
Monday 8 November 2010 10.26am
sunday lunch, ended up in the Royal Albert Columbo street 6.95 per head for a lovely roast dinner was delicious would defiantly reconmmend,
I will be going back for a pre christmas lunch,
also has a big screen so the men could watch the chelsea match after.
But thanks for all your advice
Tuesday 9 November 2010 3.11pm
Cheers, Bankside. I've not been there, but have walked past plenty of times.

...if you press it, they will come.
jw
Tuesday 8 February 2011 7.19pm
Opening The Laughing Gravy for Sunday lunches in March for those interested....

Taking bookings already.
Sunday 6 March 2011 4.21pm
have posted in the reviews as well, but just got back from the laughing gravy, and am suitably thrilled with the experience - the best we've had in 4 years in the area (including Roast @ Borough Market). entirely recommended (the roast was lovely and the dessert incredible!).

am slightly annoyed we'd not been before - will absolutely be back!

xx
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions