London SE1 community website

Damn helicopters over Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 4 November 2010 8.52am
I'm detecting sarcasm there, Real-SE1.
Thursday 4 November 2010 10.39pm
"...to protect the scab 'firefighters' that the LFBA have brought in from a private firm that richly...."

"scab", eh? Interesting word you've chosen there. I've been reading this forum for years, but haven't posted for a while, until I read this.

Before using such words I would ask you: if you came home to find your house on fire, and the firefighters that came to put out the fire were "scabs", would you turn them away and let your house burn down?
... thought not.
Thursday 4 November 2010 11.06pm
I'd certainly want to stand well back if they did turn up:
Two striking firefighters hurt in crashes on London picket lines

Can you suggest a better adjective?
Zoe
Friday 5 November 2010 8.10am
If firefighters who are willing to run into my burning house to save me then ask for my support after being threatened with the sack for not signing up to a new contract that will have such an adverse impact upon their lives, then I'm willing to give it.
Friday 5 November 2010 8.48am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Can you suggest a better adjective?
I think I'd give credit you with enough intelligence to believe that you could come up with one all on your own, and could discuss the subject without being offensive, Phil.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 5 November 2010 9.03am
Part of the problem with the public sector workers is that they seem unable to grasp how hard it is "out there" in the private sector at the moment, and has been for some time. My job is a freelance one (no choice, that's the way it is). My "bosses" think nothing of dropping me at a moments notice or cutting my fees by 30%. My pension has plummeted with the stock market and the bankers cock ups, I would love to sign a new contract of the kind the fireman are being offered. Yes of course they are a fearless bunch of saints when they rush into that burning building, but they shouldn't be exempt from the pain the country is going through at the moment. Let them strike by all means, but if someone else wants to take their job and earn some money for their families whilst they choose to strike, so be it.
Saturday 6 November 2010 8.26am
Thanks for the link JayBee.

Jerry - you write as though your situation is an inevitable result of unbending natural laws rather than the outcome of a constructed political-economic system which makes life increasingly uncertain, risky and unrewarding for most of us.

Like the firefighters, I've had my employment contract 'renegotiated' to my detriment at the point of a P45. I work in a non-unionised trade, but I don't think that everyone should share my pain - rather, I admire workers able to stand up to their employers.

Ivanhoe - thanks for your confidence in my intelligence, sorry if I've offended you.
Saturday 6 November 2010 9.18pm
No offence Phil. It's just more difficult (possibly only for me) to give consideration to ideas which come with insults.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions