London SE1 community website

Pedestrian Crossing - Abbey Street / Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Saturday 3 December 2011 9.54pm
As a new-ish person to London, I recently tried to cross from the (1) stop a few seconds away from TBR with the Sainsbury's Local as my destination -- I was really, really surprised that there was no pedestrian crossing considering all of the activity (restaurant, hotel, homes, grocery store, etc.) going on at Bermondsey Square.

This seems like a no brainer...and resources should not be an issue. Pedestrian crossings are dirt cheap. And what's good for pedestrians is good for cyclists, and vice versa.

Keep the pressure up!
Monday 5 December 2011 10.03am
Come on, 15 seconds walk from Sainsbury's local to very safe timed pedestrian crossing at Bermondsey Street/Grange Road/Tower Bridge Road. Surely if safety is an issue for you and you are not willing to risk the trot across TBR then toddle a few feet South and cross in complete safety. If TFL see fit to put in another crossing point here on TBR it will have little impact on cyclists safety but may be a better thing for the pedestrians and that would be fine but a sad comment on how "health & safety" we've all become. I've just used the new layout on Exhibition Road which has experimentally done away with conventional pavement-v-road layout, quite interesting and may be the sign of things to come as a way of slowing motorised traffic down and forcing pedestrians and cyclists to consider any point safe to cross if they take care.
Monday 5 December 2011 10.28am
This was indeed a tragic accident, but was between a cyclist and another vehicle. Nothing to do with a pedestrian, so has no relevance to the debate on whether a pedestrian phase should be added to this junction's lights.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 10.59pm
I'm largely a pedestrian and I cross there a lot. Five or six times a week, usually during the evening rush hour.
I'm also sometimes one of the poor drivers trying to turn right into Abbey Street from TBR.
The problem is the road is too narrow, too congested and people get stuck for a long time there every day. Mostly because of the CCZ, the bus lanes and the assorted one way systems and restrictions that make it harder and harder to get anywhere.
If they put a pedestrian crossing in there the roads will jam solid for miles without some considerably better plan for traffic management. Which we need rather than the current piecemeal approach with it's law of unintended consequences: "Oh put in a bus lane both ways reducing four lanes of traffic to two"(Bricklayers alms has three lanes going into one into New Kent Road and is a regular car park in the mornings - brilliant strategy!) "Oh put in a bike lane" with no thought as to how the cyclists are going to survive stopping and starting and crossing lanes and pavements randomly to follow the illogical and frequently dangerous routes (so I'm told by braver friends who cycle)

I use the traffic islands on TBR either side of the crossing and cross one lane at a time. You have to be very careful though and move fast it's true. The new building on the corner of Abbey St has reduced visibility though which hasn't helped when trying to get to Sainsburys.

It's none of it good and I'm surprised there aren't more accidents there to be honest. But I do reroute via the crossing at Grange road if my asthma is bad and I'm not up to the dodge and weave. It's not that far away.
Sunday 11 December 2011 9.59am
Is it me or are the roads in this area becoming narrower, it seems that every time they build a newbuild the road narrows, which is forcing the cars and cyclists nearer together.
The way this junction is Long lane side and Abbey Street causes some not so good drivers to mount the pavement especially travelling north on Tower Bridge Road and turning left into Long Lane or south turning into Abbey Street, lorries and large vans often mount the pavement too.
Other roads that have been narrowed are Spa Road and especially Thurland Road by St. James school and church.
Id like to know how in Thurland Road they managed to get permission to build on top of what was the road!!
And in Spa Road it is loverly to have a huge pavement but crossing the road is becoming more difficult, because the traffic is having a problem getting through.
Sunday 11 December 2011 11.38am
105pear - there's a very good blog entry here that explains why the roads are getting narrower:
http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2011/11/more-road-narrowing-coming-to-city-of.html

Basically, the idea seems to be to use cyclists in the main carriageway to slow down car traffic.
Monday 12 December 2011 9.04am
When I occasionally drive south over Tower Bridge and along TBR, I encounter so many rude drivers who believe that TBR south is a 2 lane 40mph road. It is really very scary... and I am in a car!
Monday 19 December 2011 10.59am
Great to see that they will be doing something at last but so very sad it takes such a tragic event to happen to get something done
Monday 19 December 2011 12.56pm
Indeed, great news that something is happening. As the article says though it isn’t all that much money (but good for the developers of a project hardly adjacent for putting up something). A pedestrian crossing with cycling priority box and banning some turns (plus a few other bits and bobs) is hardly a major engineering project, but surely it costs an awful lot more than £39k. Need to keep the pressure up on TfL, as they’ll have to be the ones to fund it. It strikes me that it would be money very well-spent...
Monday 19 December 2011 1.23pm
even changing the phasing of the lights to give more time for people to cross and to stop cars jumping the lights to turn right would be a great improvement and would not cost anything
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions