London SE1 community website

Pedestrian Crossing - Abbey Street / Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Monday 19 December 2011 1.46pm
True enough well, would sure be better than nothing! Might cut down the number of times I have to jump out of the way of a car running the lights turning right removes my split-second crossing time across Abbey Street...
Monday 19 December 2011 4.55pm
That's not going to happen under this mayor; he made a manifesto commitment to "re-phase the traffic lights with the sole intention of getting traffic flowing more smoothly". Pedestrian convenience or safety is not a priority.

You can see more on page 3 of Boris Johnson's 2008 Transport manifesto here (warning, PDF).
Monday 19 December 2011 7.39pm
Just published by City Hall:

Val Shawcross In response to my question 1008/2011, you stated that TfL intended to commission a study to identify possible pedestrian accessibility and safety improvements at the junction on Tower Bridge Road with Long Lane [sic] and Abbey Street, which currently has no pedestrian crossing. Has this study been completed and what are its conclusions?

Boris Johnson I explained in my answer to 1008/2011 that TfL will undertake a study of this junction in 2011/12, and this is underway. TfL anticipate that they will be in a position to outline their findings and present a scheme to stakeholders early in 2012.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 December 2011 2.45am
Dear God!
Tuesday 20 December 2011 8.25am
it is already a bottleneck for traffic so a ped. crossing will only slow things up even more. how about a pedestrian bridge OVER the road further down TBR where there is more space?
Tuesday 20 December 2011 10.14am
Quote:
it is already a bottleneck for traffic so a ped. crossing will only slow things up even more. how about a pedestrian bridge OVER the road further down TBR where there is more space?

I suppose that makes sense if you think that road traffic flow should be the highest priority for public spaces, but what you are proposing is that, instead of crossing at their natural desire path, pedestrians should troupe off down the road to somewhere else before dragging themselves (and any shopping or luggage) up a ramp or steps to cross the road before descending down again.

And all this to save a few seconds of time for the minority of people (remember, only a minority of people have cars) who choose to drive around a neighbourhood that's readily navigable on foot and well served with public transport.
Tuesday 20 December 2011 11.47am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Quote:

I suppose that makes sense if you think that road traffic flow should be the highest priority for public spaces, but what you are proposing is that, instead of crossing at their natural desire path, pedestrians should troupe off down the road to somewhere else before dragging themselves (and any shopping or luggage) up a ramp or steps to cross the road before descending down again.

And all this to save a few seconds of time for the minority of people (remember, only a minority of people have cars) who choose to drive around a neighbourhood that's readily navigable on foot and well served with public transport.

Hear hear, RP.

Don't Southwark have a 20mph policy in the Borough, anyway? I for one would like the traffic along TBR to be slowed....and I am a driver!
Wednesday 21 December 2011 8.04am
driving around london does provide plenty of evidence of pedestrians crossing at the "natural desire path" usually in the front of oncoming traffic and totally against the red our green light they are facing. i hate to say it but pedestrians can every bit as irresponsible as many drivers and a crossing will be ignored by as many as obey it

i also would imagine road traffic flow has to be the priority for a road ...surely?

tbr/long lane/abbey is a bottleneck that urgently needs sorting but slowing the traffic with a crossing hardly seems the best solution
Wednesday 21 December 2011 8.59am
It's not like we're talking about a whole new crossing where none exists at present - we're talking about adding a pedestrian phase to the lights at an existing crossing point.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 December 2011 10.12am
boroughpaul wrote:
i also would imagine road traffic flow has to be the priority for a road ...surely?

Err, so I suppose you'd also agree that pedestrian traffic flow would be priority for pedestrian paths? The problem is that all the pedestrian paths are intersected every few yards by roads.

You appear to see SE1 as a network of roads for cars, which would work well if only it wasn't for the inconvenient bits where pedestrians are allowed to cross. Most other residents might feel quite differently.

Personally, I'm in a minority in SE1 in that I have a car. Even so, the huge majority of my journeys are made on foot. In general, I'm happy for pedestrians to have priority at places where heavy pedestrian traffic conflicts with heavy road traffic. SE1 is only becoming more and more densely populated. Cars were never a very sensible option, and they only become less so as population density increases.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions