London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa regeneration area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 20 April 2004 2.08pm
So, when Ken talks about "affordable housing" what he's really saying is "come on down we've got yuppy flats at knock off prices"?? There's got to be more to it than that. May be not. If not I'll have half a dozen.

stick yer frothy lager.......
Tuesday 20 April 2004 2.08pm
Does your company use ad-blocking software?

I have to say the use of such software is a little irksome, as of course the ads pay for the site.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 April 2004 2.22pm
I think the current jargon is:
• Social housing - usually provided by an RSL (Registered Social Landlord) or Housing Authority (local council), using public subsidy, at levels no higher than Housing Corporation target rents

• Intermediate housing - sub-market housing substantially above Housing Corporation target rents, but substantially below open market levels. This category includes low-cost home ownership schemes and ‘key worker' housing. It may also include some low cost market housing where its price is close to other forms of intermediate housing
Source

Some light reading from the GLA website:
Market failure and the London housing market May 2003
Affordable Housing - 2001 reseach report for the GLA
2002 update to the research

TLMJJ - I suspect that you are getting Google Australia's ads in your web browser. Any other interesting ones coming up?

Multiple mentions of "spa", along with "homes" and "properties" might lead to a niche sector of the lettings market.

Post edited (20 Apr 04 15:28)
Tuesday 20 April 2004 2.25pm
Lang Rabbie is right that the ads are geotargetted, so you'll get a different mix of ads depending where on the planet you are.

Mapmaker - this is roughly what the site should look like, with the Google ads:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 April 2004 3.11pm
I've no idea whether they use ad-blocking software, don't think so.

Now, I was just about to write that I've cannot see google ads on the picutre you've posted, either. As it looked just like what I see. And so I looked and looked and looked, and have finally found, in font size 6, something that sys 'google'. I'd never ever ever noticed those ads before! Or at least, I've never:

a) read them; nor
b) realised they were by Google; nor
c) noticed that they were linked to the thread.

Now I'm pretty disappointed that there aren't 'proper' safaris advertised on the Salaam Ivory thread (the sort where you can come back with some ivory). An advert for Watts in the 'Archbishop' thread. Zoo tickets in the 'Elephant thread'.

Why does Phoney's household tips thread come up with Cruises? I can see why her WC graffiti thread advertises bathrooms.

And neglected & unloved has some very strange things advertised.

This is addictive, I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon going through all the threads to see what they come up with!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions