London SE1 community website

Mugging by St Saviours footbridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Tuesday 30 November 2010 10.19pm
Jonnyp42 - who do you work for or represent?

Your posts are not exactly "neutral"

Let's get the light bulbs fixed.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 11.08am
Does anyone really care who Jonny 'works' for? He/she has expressed an opinion for which he/she/it is entitled, no one is ever 'neutral' in society. The continual need by some to pick a fight, engage in pedantry or get lost on a ferris wheel of hyperbole does no one a justice and is frankly rather childish. Exercise your ego elsewhere.

Light bulbs broken. Get them fixed. End of story.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 11.52am
Tolstoy wrote:
Does anyone really care who Jonny 'works' for? He/she has expressed an opinion for which he/she/it is entitled, no one is ever 'neutral' in society. The continual need by some to pick a fight, engage in pedantry or get lost on a ferris wheel of hyperbole does no one a justice and is frankly rather childish. Exercise your ego elsewhere.
Light bulbs broken. Get them fixed. End of story.

The subject is 'Mugging by St Saviours footbridge', this is a discusion forum and you are not the moderator.

Another woman was mugged off Tower Bridge Piazza in the same week. There are no police patrols at night when both crimes took place. Those facts are pertinent and prevent no-one from establishing who is responsible for lighting.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 11.59am
Well I am a moderator and I would endorse Tolstoy's sentiment entirely.

If you want to continue to discuss the rights and wrongs of policing in general, kindly do it elsewhere.

If you've got something pertinent or practical to say about the specific local lighting issue that was highlighted at the start of this thread, then please share it here.

Thank you.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 12.09pm
I saw the mugging too - the first time I've seen anything like that here.
Last year I phoned the council to ask them to fix the lights on the footbridge and along the river front. They did it all - except for the stretch outside Browns - within 10 days. But I don't know why not the Browns part.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 12.58pm
Well I reported it to the Southwark Council environment and will see what will happen.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 5.05pm
James Hatts wrote:
If you want to continue to discuss the rights and wrongs of policing in general, kindly do it elsewhere.

If you've got something pertinent or practical to say about the specific local lighting issue that was highlighted at the start of this thread, then please share it here.

Thank you.
Oh well, when you endorse the apoplectic and ad hominem against the pertinent and courteous that acts as a filter to ensure you get the former qualities. Enjoy.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 5.22pm
Hi all - I wrote to Southwark council about a lighting problem that I posted about on here in the last 6 weeks. It was fixed and the contact at the council was great. DM me for details to pass it on,
Wednesday 1 December 2010 7.58pm
Let's get the light bulbs fixed

James Hatts wrote:

I'm surprised at you James. Over and out.
AD
Wednesday 1 December 2010 9.31pm
I got a response from a local Councillor:

"I have requested to meet with senior managers at the council. The difficulty is that the council will not take responsibility if it does not have to, but I will be making the points about safety which we all have an interest to protect. Local councillors are clear that the council has to take action for local residents and we are making this case as strongly as we can.

The police at the Safer Neighbourhoods Team meeting were very aware of the issues and added their support to the urgent need for the lighting to be sorted out, which is helpful. They also said that they had made arrests for the mugging which you mentioned and that they were confident that they had enough evidence for prosecution.

I will keep you informed and will continue to do all that I can to resolve this situation."

Julia7329, I saw your previous thread and am glad to hear things have been resolved. Unfortunately this is a situation as clear as the water in St Saviours dock. As stated previously; the Port of London Authority were responsible for the jetty, but had ceded responsibility to a managing agent, who has claimed they are not legally responsible as it wasn't stated in the lease. I had asked the Councillor to expand on their understanding of the specifics of who the managing agent was but no information was forthcoming as yet.

The situation has gone on for two years and is clearly a problem if people are getting mugged. I hope to see the light bulbs fixed, and a problem resolved, and an end to the story. I'm not holding my breath though!

I'll keep on at the Councillor who seems very pro active, and I'll keep using this website to keep the issue out there. Fortunately I'm a persistent old sod!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions