London SE1 community website

Funny and not so funny comments you have heard tourists make.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Sunday 28 November 2010 11.04am
At the National Theatre last week I was sat next to a Deep South redneck type at 'Men Should Weep'. He and his other half complained loudly about the cast 'not speaking English' since the play is set in Glasgow in the 1930s and is in Glasgow dialect. Fair do's not everyone can understand Glaswegian but the funny part was that he seemed to think that he spoke the Queen's English! ...yeeha! Cracking play by the way, full of humour but also deeply poignant. Really worth seeing.
Sunday 28 November 2010 11.16am
About ten years ago I was in Amalfi an Italian Diner in Soho with my brother. Next too us were an american couple, who were later joined by another couple with a texas drawl. They started talkng about there 'tourist' adventures around the UK, eg York, London etc
The 'texas' lady launched into a story about their trip to Stone Henge and I quote. 'When we came out of Saul les berry, we ran into an encampment, where people were living in trailers and vans. There was a man with a dawg on a bit of string-I THINK THEY MUST BE THE DRUIDS!
You have to love it
Sunday 28 November 2010 12.07pm
Apologies, BSB,
I was on my way to bed last night and didn't check the link you highlighted, just read the text.
All explained now.

When I worked in the City we had a link-line to our branch in New York. One quiet Friday afternoon one of the New York guys asked me to settle an argument by telling him what side of the river London Bridge was on.

A few days before Xmas one year, with the money market typically dead, we decided to have an inter-branch quiz. After the bottle had been passed around the desk a few times on of our lads thought he'd have a lark and asked, "What was the name of The Ship in the film, 'Mutiny on the Bounty.' There was a few moments silence before the reply came back from New York, "Sorry, guys. None of us have seen that film."
Sunday 28 November 2010 1.06pm
Walking up Borough High St, my husband and I heard the amplified commentary coming from the passing Yellow Amphibious Vehicle:

"This is Borough, which is one of the most deprived areas of London.."

cue: WTF?

Now every time I see one driving down the road, I feel like getting my husband to pretend to steal my bag, a la Seinfeld, just to keep up their premise!
Sunday 28 November 2010 1.16pm
Perhaps you didn't hear quite correctly and the word was "depraved" !!!
Sunday 28 November 2010 2.33pm
Whilst not wishing to belittle some of our Amercian cousins even more.......in Potters Field by City Hall last summer
American lady to me - 'Where is Tower Bridge, we've visited it before but want to show our friends and seem to have got a bit lost'!

Me - 'It's that bridge across the river with the two towers on it'

American lady - ' Thanks, how could we have missed it? And what's that quaint old building on the other side of the river?'

Me - 'That's the Tower of London'

American lady - ' So do you know why the bridge is called Tower Bridge....'

At which stage I politely excused myself to go and dry my eyes............
Sunday 28 November 2010 3.36pm
If we haven't already done irrepable damage to the 'special relationshi,' here's another one.
A cabbie joke which Tom Pepper would no doubt have heard.
A cabbie picks up an American at Heathrow and when they get in to London the American asks for a tour. They pass St. Paul's Cathedral and he asks, "What's that?" The cabbie says, "That's St. Paul's Cathedral. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren. It took years to build." The American says, "It looks a bit like the Capitol, but we Americans had that up in a year."
They then pass the BT Tower. Same scenario. "Tallest building to be errected in London during the whole of the 1960's" Says the cabbie, proudly. "Huh!" Says the American. "We put up six buildings within one year in New York during the sixties, and all taller than that one."
They then drive past the 'Gherkin.' "What's that thing?" Enquires the American. "No idea," says the cabbie. "It wasn't there yesterday."
HAQ
Monday 29 November 2010 8.39am
I have to add a few to this. The first may not seem funny to some but it was to me. I was at the North Sea Fish Restaurant on Judd Street and an old American couple sat next to me. They looked at the fish knife curiously and asked "what is that? Oh it must be a butter knife."

The other one I heard in Paris as I was rushing around near the Arc de Triumph, a very young American couple were behind me, I heard the man say: "I can't believe they don't have guns here. Isn't it crazy?"
Monday 29 November 2010 10.09am
On a visit to 1,000 year-old Cardiff castle I over-heard an American woman comment to her husband: "Oh my gaad everything looks so old, it must be over a 100 years old!"

To give our American friends the benefit of the doubt I'm wondering if we pick up on their half-baked comments because we actually *understand* them ... who knows what dumb things the French, Germans and Italians are saying?!
Monday 29 November 2010 10.21am
There's the story of the American tourists at Windsor Castle who are disturbed by the planes flying overhead to Heathrow - one was heard to say, "why did they build the castle so near the airport?"
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions