London SE1 community website

Funny and not so funny comments you have heard tourists make.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 29 November 2010 10.56am
Overheard in the courtyard of the George Inn in Borough High Street, some USA fans of Shakespeare exclaiming:

"Oh look, we can go to Stratford on the tube"
Monday 29 November 2010 10.58am
Last summer on the SouthBank I overheard two American tourists. the conversation went as follows:

"You know that builiding over there, it's modelled on the White House" while I was contemplating what on earth they were going on about, I could then hear them go through their guide book and one of them prclaimed "and it's called St Paul's".

Honestly - you can't make this stuff up!

As for London Bridge spanning Lake Havasu, I have heard however that due to the weather conditions over there, it's deteriorating. London Bridge is falling down....
Monday 29 November 2010 11.19am
Two Aussie tourists in Camberwell looking for Lew-Ger-B'Rew-Guer.
Monday 29 November 2010 12.09pm
on a trip to Lincoln Cathedral overheard one American telling another that wasn't it great that they named the Cathedral after the first President of the US.

it wouldn't be so bad if it were all and sundry USAns going around saying these kind of things, but when you realise that only 30% of them have passports, you really have to worry about the rest of them!
Monday 29 November 2010 9.09pm
This is to show that not only US visitors can leave us speechless. Quite a few years ago, Saturday afternoon, on White Hart Lane in Barnes I was stopped by three very confused young guys from Bolton who asked me "Where's the ground?"
Monday 29 November 2010 10.57pm
Similar to Stratford & White Hart Lane, I once came across a slightly confused couple on Abbey Street asking where the Beatles zebra crossing is. Had to explain that the album cover was actually taken at the other end of London and they were looking for Abbey *Road*!

Felt a lot of sympathy though - I'm always getting lost in other cities!
Monday 29 November 2010 11.15pm
JonR wrote:
it wouldn't be so bad if it were all and sundry USAns going around saying these kind of things, but when you realise that only 30% of them have passports, you really have to worry about the rest of them!

You're right to be worried. I was once in the Bronx Zoo when I heard a boy ask 'Mommy, what is it?' 'A rat' she replied, confidently. I turned round to see a very large armadillo.
Tuesday 30 November 2010 9.21am
JonR wrote:
on a trip to Lincoln Cathedral overheard one American telling another that wasn't it great that they named the Cathedral after the first President of the US.

I would think that their history teacher would have none too pleased to hear that Honest Abe, ( the 16th. president) had been elevated to George Washington's rightful place as the first!
Tuesday 30 November 2010 10.11am
Too right, Tom. And to think they've only got 250 years of history to worry about, you'd think they'd all be experts on the subject.
Tuesday 30 November 2010 10.24am
beetroot wrote:
JonR wrote:

You're right to be worried. I was once in the Bronx Zoo when I heard a boy ask 'Mommy, what is it?' 'A rat' she replied, confidently. I turned round to see a very large armadillo.

And only 1.7% of the inhabitants of Mississippi have a valid passport
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions