London SE1 community website

Funny and not so funny comments you have heard tourists make.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 30 November 2010 5.21pm
Graham, That's what Ronnie Barker once referred to as, 'Pismonunciation.'
Talking of which reminds me of a little scene from 'Poirot,' where he has a parrot delivered. The guy knocks on his door and says, "I've got a parrot for Mr poy-rot."
"It's pronounced, "Pwa-ro," says the great detective.
"Oh, alright," says the delivery man. "I've got a pwa-ro for Mr. poy-rot."
Tuesday 30 November 2010 9.04pm
My favourite, and it's not just tourists, is people who ask ridculous questions about where buses are going. In order:

A few weeks ago, someone got on the N43 southbound at Monument and asked if it went to London Bridge. Not much alternative!

Today, a lady got on the Eastbound 1 at Tesco Surrey Quays and asked if it went to Canada Water (no, and also, umm, it's right there...)

My favourite, around 18 months ago, were the group of French youths getting increasingly agitated and confused on an Eastbound N1 heading rapidly for Elephant and Castle, and to who I had to break the news that the number of the front of the bus was not the postcode for which it was bound, and it would not be taking them to Angel Islington.
Friday 3 December 2010 12.14am
My favourite, overheard while stewarding at The Globe - "That must be that Dome they're talking about" - looking at St Pauls!! and another lovely American overheard whilst walking over the Millennium Bridge towards the Globe - look there's that theatre that John Wayne built!!!
Friday 3 December 2010 1.06pm
to take the heat of our american cousins a bit...

french tourists by big ben/parliament

woman: 'what a pretty building, what is it?'

man: 'it's a very famous church'...
Friday 3 December 2010 2.23pm
My old Mum used to say, "They're are more hypocrites inside churches than outside." So in that case, that famous building must surely be a church.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions