London SE1 community website

SE1 run out of broadband slots ???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 1 December 2010 5.57pm
phoney wrote:
James Hatts wrote:
Google thinks all of Southwark is Camberwell. Just search for any local location on Google Maps and you will see.

Cheers, I didn't know that.

and telling them about it makes no difference either, though maybe if we all keep telling them...
Wednesday 1 December 2010 6.56pm
James Hatts wrote:
Google thinks all of Southwark is Camberwell. Just search for any local location on Google Maps and you will see.

Ah! Thanks for that. I thought it was a problem with my fancy phone. Don't know why, but it bugs me.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 7.23pm
Ron

The number of slots available for ADSL or ADSL2 is indeed ruled by what is available in the exchange.

Regardless of which ISP you go for, it will still have to go through your local exchange.

I live right on the "exchange border" between Southwark and Bermondsey.

I achieve a 6 meg download speed (on Southwark exchange) - but a friend 100 yards away (on Bermondsey) gets about 1 meg, sometimes less.

I have just tested both exchanges for you, and the results are...

============================================

Results for exchange: Southwark

Congestion status on this exchange is GREEN.

Your telephone line is on an un-congested exchange.

===========================================

Results for exchange: Bermondsey

Congestion status on this exchange is RED.

Your telephone line has been identified as being on a congested exchange. If you are receiving varying speeds between 400kbs - 2000kbs at different times of the day this is likely to be a result of the congestion issue.

A provisional date of Nov 14, 2008 has been set for upgrading this exchange.

===========================================

As you can see - the date for the exchange update has long since passed!

You can check the results yourself by clicking here.
Wednesday 1 December 2010 7.31pm
The Nildram congestion checker is hopelessly out of date, since they were bought by Opal.

Exchange congestion is to do with the capacity between the exchange and the rest of the BT network, which is much less of an issue since the 21CN network went in.

BE's network does not connect over the BT network, so BT exchange congestion does not affect BE customers.

I just checked on out BT Openreach systems and cannot see any capacity problems whatsoever (I own an ISP).

Regards

John
Wednesday 1 December 2010 8.55pm
All sounds depressing. My broadband is soooo slow and now that The Quill as been given the go ahead and The Shard is already well on the way just think how slooooow it will be for the Southwark exchange. Can't wait!!
Wednesday 1 December 2010 11.59pm
Not sure what to say on your situation. I'd say don't trust your existing ISP, though. They have a vested interest in your not going anywhere else. Go try someone else and get a second opinion on what can be done.

For what it's worth, I went with Sky's unbundled service earlier this year. And it's the best tech decision I made this year. I get 16Mbit connection speeds at the Southwark exchange with real world download speeds that are with some sites better than I had ever imagined were possible in the UK. Better still, there is no 'management' AKA 'throttling'. That's to say that it's the same anytime of the day or night and is truly unlimited. I know some on BT's 'Infinity' fibre service and Virgin's Cable offer that are clearly getting short changed at off peak times never mind peak. Downloads on the BT offer are at times worse than the sorts of speeds I was obtaining when I was one of the few then using ADSL on the then huge, but now paultry standard 0.5meg connection.
Zoe
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.02am
Did everyone vote on the BT site for our exchanges to be upgraded. I'm on the exchange off Blackfriars Road and it had only had 42 votes. I'm not sure if that's the Southwark exchange.

boroughbloke, that's useful to know, I was thinking of moving to BT from Sky, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't bother from what you say.
Zoe
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.17am
I just checked, apparently the Southwark exchange is:

GREAT NEWS!
Your exchange is already on the rollout plan for BT Infinity.

We're on the Southbank exchange, I fear we are being left behind - lol. You should all vote for our exchange anyway!!

http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/
Thursday 2 December 2010 11.05am
phoney wrote:
Recently if you do a search in Google your location is detected and displayed on left of results page as:

which you can change, which I never have. I was wondering why it detects me as Camberwell? I'm with BT so maybe I'm being routed through the Camberwell exchange rather than Long Lane to relieve pressure on the local exchange.

BT have exchanges in Walworth and Brixton BUT not Camberwell, I live there and come under Brixton.

If you want more info on your exchange go to:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Thursday 2 December 2010 12.39pm
I only assumed camberwell had an exchange as Google detects it as my location but as James pointed out all of Soutwark is Camberwell according to Google. I have never changed my location because if you clear your cache Google would revert to Camberwell by default.

Always been happy with BT as I have never lost connection and the download speed never falls below 14Mbps although they say up to 20Mbps. Can't remember the last time 'buffering' kicked in.
Just tested speed now which is down slightly due to time of day presumably.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions