London SE1 community website

SE1 run out of broadband slots ???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 3 December 2010 11.14am
That's very good for BT but if your exchange has Be you'll find you would get more on both the Download and the Upload unless you are waiting for FTTC
Friday 3 December 2010 9.38pm
'Google thinks all of Southwark is Camberwell. Just search for any local location on Google Maps and you will see.'

I followed this up and have reported it, let's see what difference it makes. The mapping is via another company, so Google are not involved.
Tuesday 7 December 2010 6.08pm
Tolstoy wrote:
'Google thinks all of Southwark is Camberwell. Just search for any local location on Google Maps and you will see.'
I followed this up and have reported it, let's see what difference it makes. The mapping is via another company, so Google are not involved.

Good Grief!
It appears we have been upgraded to Lambeth,UK
Hopefully make it to Southwark soon.
Wednesday 8 December 2010 12.18am
Interesting - it appears I am in the "City of London, UK", which if you use Google maps places me about 100 meters from Westminster and the "Liars to Students" folks.

Marvellous and, according to Google, 3.6 miles and 13 minutes from where I actually live.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Monday 13 December 2010 11.40am
Zoe wrote:

We're on the Southbank exchange, I fear we are being left behind - lol. You should all vote for our exchange anyway!!

http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/

I finally managed to do this, did not realise it does not work on Chrome. I was vote number 50 from the Southbank exchange, out of a total of 9,330... can't see us being upgraded anytime soon. But please vote just in case!
Zoe
Tuesday 14 December 2010 8.13pm
We've gone from 42 a couple of weeks ago, so we're on the way!
Wednesday 15 December 2010 10.11am
You would have thought all Central London exchanges would be updated as a priority without the need for a voting gimmick.
My BT contract expires in Jan. so I might migrate to Virgin, although how many people get value out of 50Mbps. Would you notice the difference beteen 20 and 50 for normal usage? Saving the occasional second isn't high on my wish list.

GOOGLE is now showing Camberwell again!
Tuesday 4 January 2011 5.22pm
My BT contract is also at an end. At best I was getting only 6mb (I live just on Ayers Street) and I believe the exchange is at the top of the road on Union Street only say 750m away yet still the connection was slow and often hangs.

I have had BT out several times and I am told no joy on increasing the speed. I was thinking of heading over to Sky. One positive review on the forum. Any other thoughts on the matter or suggestions? Again it says Infinity is not due to rolled out and says BT will give 15mb speeds (not sure how 6 and 15 are in anyway close) which is my experience.

Anyone with Virgin nearby?
Thursday 6 January 2011 9.06am
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the southwark exchange does cable internet, so I don't think 50mbps will be avaiable in this area.
Thursday 6 January 2011 5.07pm
James B- wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the southwark exchange does cable internet, so I don't think 50mbps will be avaiable in this area.

Southwark exchange?? Virgin cable does not go through the BT exchanges at all, they have a completely separate network. Some of the area will have been upgraded to the 50 mb service.

I have been with Sky for years now, and am very happy. Got constantly real dl speeds of over 16mb and around 0.8 upload, and have had very little problems. Had to fight with BT for years though to get their side of the line to work, and then with Sky to set theirs up properly, but since then it has been perfect.

Sometimes the copper lines (owned by BT) will be in a bad condition and that will affect your broadband.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions