London SE1 community website

Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 15
Monday 5 September 2011 1.37pm
In case anyone's interested, the artwork/memorial has been unveiled today in Battersea Park.

From the pictures, the plinth looks temporary:
http://www.lbc.co.uk/911-memorial-unveiled-in-london-44397/album/9_11_memorial_unveiled_in_london/1365#21325
and I can't immediately find the planning application for its installation there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 September 2011 2.56pm
Awful - looks like exactly what it is, a load of rusty old girders.
Monday 5 September 2011 5.09pm
It's only going to be in Battersea Park for a month:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/article/10659/twin_towers_art_work_unveiled_in_battersea

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 September 2011 5.26pm
..but a piece of a girder is going to be in The Imperial War Museum for ever....
Monday 5 September 2011 6.10pm
Thanks James for keeping us in the loop. Awful looking, isn't it. Not my kind of art

The piece going to the IWM, is that what they refer to in the Battersea link, when they say it (the piece of 'art') will be moving to a permanent location at some point? Have to say, I did wonder on reading that whether there would be another attempt to bring it to SE1....

I'm surprised at the IWM. I thought they only hosted items from wars. This was a terrorist attack. How does that work then?
Monday 5 September 2011 7.41pm
ultrapatrick wrote:
I'm surprised at the IWM. I thought they only hosted items from wars. This was a terrorist attack. How does that work then?

Well, by buying into the concept of it (9/11) being the trigger for the 'war on terror' as first espoused by ex-President Bush, then that's one way of making it 'work'.
Monday 5 September 2011 10.32pm
OK, I'm not winning points for subtlety here. Let me make it simple:

The 'War on Terror', as put forward by Bush, was never classified officially as a war; it was an authorised military engagement, I believe 

The wreckage from 9/11 is a consequence of a terrorist atrocity committed on American soil

So, it surprises me that the IWM would host said wreckage - the link seems a bit tenuous to me - admittedly, it could be just me

Saying that, I think there's a chunk of Berlin Wall in the grounds, which seems relatively random; perhaps they intend to stick a girder out there? Although that would be quite a bizarre juxtaposition!

The whole thing is also emotionally loaded and, I would be very surprised if the IWM disregarded the wishes of the families of the British victims by displaying items that the families have already objected to. Plus, the wreckage seems to be under the stewardship of the Foundation so it has 'baggage' when compared to other items in the IWM, if you see what I mean 

So, assuming it's true, I wonder how/if the IWM will address these issues (or not) in order to make it work
Monday 5 September 2011 10.43pm
I think these sinister people are still planning on Potters Fields.
Monday 5 September 2011 10.46pm
I think that too, Beetroot

P.S. Liked the "sinister" bit ;-)
Tuesday 6 September 2011 8.25am
Have any of you been to the Imperial War Museum, London? They have a permanent exhibition concerned with 'conflict since 1945' where this would sit appropriately with the other material.
Current: 11 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions