London SE1 community website

Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 15
Tuesday 10 September 2013 4.49am
absolute disgrace and nimbyism at its worst - this should be in potters field!
Zoe
Tuesday 10 September 2013 6.48am
It's funny how people are always accused of nimbyism if they object to something. It's an easy insult but doesn't make much sense in the context. I don't live in Potters Field and I don't think it belonged there. I do think it belongs in the Olympic Park or Mary Harmsworth.

It's disgraceful though that Boris has allowed it to sit rusting on a farm, I am genuinely shocked by that, he is making Britain look bad.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 7.31am
It never made any sense being at Tower Bridge, the Olympic Park is a better fit given it has other public sculpture on display.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 10.04am
It shouldn't be anywhere. It's just horrible.
Wednesday 11 September 2013 6.39am
kellandj wrote:
It should be in pieces, ready to be scrapped and turned into something useful.

The only thing that's good about putting it in the Olympic park is that no one's going to go there and be bothered by it, but it's still a waste of raw materials.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 11 September 2013 12.15pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
kellandj wrote:
It should be in pieces, ready to be scrapped and turned into something useful.

The only thing that's good about putting it in the Olympic park is that no one's going to go there and be bothered by it, but it's still a waste of raw materials.

What is your objection to it Ivanhoe?
Wednesday 11 September 2013 8.31pm
IIRC, I made my objections (hopefully) clear pages ago when this was first mooted.

There are needless, violent, deaths every day. Some caused by the Wonderful Western powers, some by "terrorists". I struggle to see that only some of those deaths are worthy of memorials, and I'm truly puzzled that an awful event in the US should be commemorated in central London. Where would we stop? Would there be any space left once we'd commemorated every needless death?

I suspect that the response to the Twin Towers has resulted in several times more deaths than the original event, on both sides, and that this will continue for years to come. I'd rather see a memorial to remind people of how stupid, short-sighted, and downright dangerous human beings of all sympathies can be when they get carried away by fanaticism, whether they be "terrorists" or heads of state.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 12 September 2013 11.33am
still an absolute disgrace and nimbyism at its worst - this should be in potters field! ... and it would have been if ALL residents had had their say and not just the rich riverside incommers with far too much influence on potters field leaseholder unrepresentative body.
Thursday 12 September 2013 1.28pm
Kellandj. Potters Fields is a small family park and, in the opinion of many (I would suggest the vast majority), TOTALLY unsuited as a memorial site. It IS a memorial, despite claims at the time of it being a "work of public art". All residents had an opportunity to express views. I consulted the 100+ flat owners here and the view was very much against Potters Fields as a site -- it would change the whole feeling of the place. Other resident associations said the same. A more suitable site locally would have been by the Imperial War Museum. I visited the memorial when it was in Battersea Park for a short time -- it made me feel very sombre and sad, particularly in view of the little candles and flowers (long dead) that people had placed there. I am sure most local residents will be very pleased the original proposal to use Potters Fields was successfully defeated. I have no involvement with the management of Potters Fields.
Current: 14 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions