London SE1 community website

Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 15
Wednesday 16 February 2011 4.09pm
I contacted Simon Hughes about it and had no response.
Zoe
Wednesday 16 February 2011 9.35pm
I couldn't see an email on the post, could you re-post?

Does anyone know if the meeting on the 21st is open to everyone, or just those invited, I wasn't clear?

I find it an odd location, but if the families group of those who died don't want it then I'm even more confused as to why Southwark is so keen to give it permission. It all just seems very odd.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 9.39pm
Hi Zoe - the meeting on 21st - entry is by producing a letter that came in the post detailing the agenda.
Zoe
Wednesday 16 February 2011 9.57pm
Thanks BSB
Wednesday 16 February 2011 10.16pm
I understand that on the 10th of August 2010 the New York State Court released the frame and an assurance was given that a site had been agreed for this public work of art. Does anyone know where the frame is now? Perhaps the 9/11 London Project Foundation could let us know.

mickmac
Wednesday 16 February 2011 10.38pm
Zoe wrote:
I couldn't see an email on the post, could you re-post?
Does anyone know if the meeting on the 21st is open to everyone, or just those invited, I wasn't clear?

I find it an odd location, but if the families group of those who died don't want it then I'm even more confused as to why Southwark is so keen to give it permission. It all just seems very odd.

Hi,

I understand that the Shad Thames Residents' Association were concerned that some/many residents had not received invitations. I believe they contacted the 9/11 London Project about this.

If you, or anyone else, would like to attend the joint Southwark Council and 9/11 London Project Foundation meeting, the STRA can pass this on, so that you can attend.

There is a link at the bottom of the STRA website (highlighted in yellow) http://www.shadthames.org/

and this is the direct link to the online form http://www.shadthames.org/documents/contact_request.html
Thursday 17 February 2011 9.54am
As partners of the Council in the Lambeth College / Potters Field site, it would be interesting to hear the Berkeley Homes point of view. Hundreds of the flats that they'll be trying to flog with prime views will have the sculpture bang in the centre of their highly prized - and valuable - vistas. If existing residents find it offensive or unsuitable then it certainly won't be a selling point for any of properties in the proposed One Tower Bridge development.
Thursday 17 February 2011 10.31am
The Dentist wrote:
As partners of the Council in the Lambeth College / Potters Field site, it would be interesting to hear the Berkeley Homes point of view. Hundreds of the flats that they'll be trying to flog with prime views will have the sculpture bang in the centre of their highly prized - and valuable - vistas. If existing residents find it offensive or unsuitable then it certainly won't be a selling point for any of properties in the proposed One Tower Bridge development.

Could be! Or, they may actually think it a unique selling point, you never know. Possibly of more concern to them (and prospective buyers) is the potential that if the monument to 9/11 somehow manages to go ahead, it may become a focus for various types of protest/action in the future?
Thursday 17 February 2011 11.13am
Yes ultrapatrick, your last point is the one I had not thought about. It could very well become an unwelcome focal point, and potential flash point, for demonstrators with different points of view.
Thursday 17 February 2011 11.38am
To some people throughout its existence (which will be forever) the proposed 9/11 artwork will be a magnificent celebration of, and memorial to, a highly succesful terrorist operation.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions