London SE1 community website

Sobo - a change of ownership?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Saturday 8 January 2011 7.27pm
The service has certainly improved since the new owners have taken over, If only they would do something about the terrible Art work.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 5.07pm
The art at Sobo was always for sale, and the displays usually rotated. I wonder if the current art will now be permanent.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 7.04pm
I vistid Sobo just before Christmas for a late afternoon latte, just before 5pm, place smelling of bleach and no music, to be told they were closing early... not like Sobo at all. I asked about Martin, and the couple there said he was in Canada for 3 mths and they were looking after the place. And as the art is still on the walls and usually rotated,,, this seems to make sense? Hate the plastic food photos outside... haven't been back in as working away and hope it will keep going whatever the ownership as well as best latte in town.
Thursday 13 January 2011 9.13pm
They've changed the coffee :-(
Sunday 16 January 2011 7.08pm
i too have been away for a while but went in twice last week, had scrambled egg on toast which was massive and very nice, and the americano was fine too. the new owner seems very nice and keen to see sobo do well, as another poster said. the trouble is i think he needs some good advice as its teetering between being a greasy spoon and a nicer cafe...the background music was way too loud, the menu displays on the wall very 'caff', the kitkats in the fridge looked very kebab-shop! also the 'finer' food items seem to be seeping away...its a shame if it goes down market like the hartley
Friday 21 January 2011 12.48pm
Been away as well, saw this thread and hoped that maybe the changes wouldn't be all that bad. But on coming back I have to agree with other posters - so many of the elements that made SoBo SoBo have just disappeared. And the sad thing is that before Martin left he told me that the new owner had loved it for what it was and was determined not to change anything. Having said that, I guess it's up to the customer to make his/her feelings known, so next time I'm passing I think I'll give the manager my - hopefully constructive - feedback. (I'm inspired by my neighbour, a plain-spoken woman, who let them know in the nicest possible way just what she thought about the change in her daily coffee:))
Wednesday 26 January 2011 5.27pm
I do hope that all the people that have posted on this thread have told the new owners how they feel, sadly Sobo seems to always be empty these days.

It would be a real shame if Sobo had to close,even if it has become less "gentrified' of late.
Thursday 27 January 2011 4.30pm
Was in the other day and offered what I hope was polite feedback. The guy I spoke to said the manager would be glad to hear anything, good or bad.

He also said they haven't changed the coffee beans... can't comment as I don't drink it.

Sadly, there were far fewer in than used to be there at that time of day. Hope they get their act together.
Friday 28 January 2011 1.58pm
The following was posted in the reviews section last night:

Quote:
Posted by taylan on Thursday 27 January 2011
DEAR CUSTOMERS?
i am the new owner of the sobo, i think many of you have already seen me?

i am really sorry that you had a bad exprience at SoBo since the ownership has changed,

as i am new at SoBo i am trying to do what i can to get the things right and this would take time as you know.

i know that SoBo used to have high standart of foods, breakfast, lunch etc. i am trying to keep it as the same quality.

if you come to do SoBo and tell me what i had done wrong so far and what you are not happy with so that i will try to keep it right, please do come in and talk to me while you are having a drink on the house,

as everyone know this is my first business please do consider this as well and help me to get the things right,

thanks very much for your comments,

i am sure that SE1 peaople will help me to get this business right,

Unfortunately this had been posted from the same address a few minutes earlier:

Quote:
i went to sobo last week with my family and two children, the new ownership is so great, they are so friendly, helpful and understandable with the children because as everybody knows when you go to a cafe with the children they are a bit noisy so the owner gets upset at some places sobo is not one of those places they now understand better what family customers need. we had a lovely breakfast there they give free hot drinks with every breakfast which is great and it is not expensive at all, if you have not gone to sobo since the ownership change you should go there and try, always trying new things bring good things, great taste and now i am a regular customer

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 28 January 2011 3.11pm
aoibhneas wrote:

He also said they haven't changed the coffee beans... can't comment as I don't drink it.

I understand that the same coffee from the same machine can taste very different if the machine isn't kept as clean.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions