London SE1 community website

Pizza Lupo/Cucina

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 11 January 2011 7.56pm
I'm on team Ivanhoe. I'm gutted that the pizza application for Tower Bridge road was defeated - I was hoping for another decent pie establishment opening in the 'hood. I guess it's back to store bought.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 12.11pm
You could have a mooch around on this site, young Hoe ... http://www.urbanbite.com/
Wednesday 12 January 2011 2.08pm
Interesting, Julie, thanks.

It shows Cucina (but that will be Lupa now), and also a promising sounding place in Exmouth Market (doubtful they'd deliver to SE1 - but I could always put my scooter to good use and go via there on the way home, I suppose. I get enough cracks about pizza delivery that I might as well do it once in a while).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 19 September 2013 10.14pm
I used to love it, made it my no 1 delivery option. Lupa arrives and it drops off in quality so the ordering becomes much less frequent until it becomes a rarity (and not a treat). Decided to give them a go tonight, they still have my details, the pizza takes 85 minutes to arrive but I'm still hopeful.

The driver walks towards my door holding both pizzas with 4 bottles of beer on top. My heart sinks a little, I'm concerned that there will be too much pressure and the toppings will be all over the top of the box. I take one of them and open to examine; my fears are confirmed but also 20% of the pizza is effctively burnt. As I do this, the driver tries to open the other pizza with what look like less than clean hands. I'm horrified. I take it from him, the second pizza is significantly adhered to the box lid, the plastic tripod has competely collapsed.

Nevertheless, I don't want to reject them, I want to get back some of the love. Obviously the driver doesn't have any change so he gets overpaid; usually I would tip 3 but this has been rendered inappropriate by his actions in squashing the pizzas.

I bring them inside and try to make the best of the position. Unfortunately, both pizzas are on the cold side of cool. Not great but press on, it'll get better. Not quite, the margherita pizza has the chili base which should have been on the cucina piccante (my personal fav) and the CP is so undercooked (in contrast to the burnt margherita) that it has a very soggy bottom (c GBBO).

Ultimately half a slice is eaten from the margherita - chili not being acceptable. I consume two doughy slices of the picante before giving up.

A call to Cucina/Lupa follows; the driver is new so I should forgive him for squashing the pizzas - not quite, if he's that new and was trained properly he might remember that placing heavy items on top of a weak box is not a good idea. His attempt at opening the pizza with his bare hands drew horrors over the phone. The chili base is apparently due to them being busy. I'm not interested in a refund or dealing with them further; replacement pizzas were not offered.

I lament the death of my love of pizza. Hopefully they will drop all references to Cucina, what is now produced should not be associated with my good memories of their prior performances.

Are my experiences common place?
Friday 20 September 2013 3.19pm
I love their pizza, much better than the muck served up by Dominos etc.

Only problem we had is that they forgot to put chicken on one of the pizzas we ordered but Mrs Greek got on the blower and got us a great discount for the next time.
Friday 20 September 2013 3.58pm
You are 100% right Ivanhoe, its not the same as Cucina. I can't get decent del in SE1 so I just forego the pleasure and go to Franco Manca in Brixton and eat it piping hot.
Sunday 22 September 2013 1.56pm
We still have deliveries from Lupa, and I prefer them to Basilico (partly because of the selection).
I preferred Cucina. They did a better Fiorentina, IMHO. But Lupa are still above average. I'll have more frequent bashes at making pizza at home, but even with a stone I can't get the sort of heat that you get in a proper pizza oven, and so I guess we'll keep on using them.

Sunday 22 September 2013 2.39pm
turn the oven up high for a bit before you want to cook, then turn it down to a more sensible temp when the pizza actually goes in...
Monday 23 September 2013 8.13am
Doesn't work. The problem is that a domestic oven isn't hot ENOUGH. A real pizza oven gets to temperatures much hotter than a domestic one, and gives you that lovely crust. Crispy, not doughy.

Monday 23 September 2013 8.35am
baking the crust (covered in a couple of tablespoons of sauce)in the bottom of a v hot oven for about 5mins before you top it might help a bit.

although i know what you mean...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24084705
It is supper-time now at Giovanna Azi's house, and her two young sons are clamouring for the three different types of pizza she has made. She places a bread basket on the table and the deliciously comforting smell of fresh baking fills the room.

Her elder sons reaches out for a third slice of pizza.

"Isn't it delicious?" I say to him.

"It's good," he acknowledges, "but I prefer the takeout pizza we used to buy at the restaurant."
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions