London SE1 community website

Where can I get some tomato plants in SE1 please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Jon
Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.58am
My grandad used to grow tomatoes in his greenhouse, and the tastiest were always the yellow tomatoes. No idea what the variety is. I think they were plum shaped as well, not round.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 11.15am
East Street Market used to sell all kinds of plants etc on a Sunday that were cheap and good quality. Don't know whether this still happens?

Modigliani
Wednesday 21 April 2004 11.31am
What about good old East Lane on Sunday Mornings - the side street near Portland Street. Not quite SE1 - but close enough.
I have seen tomato plants for sale at the Borough Market - on the corner of Southwark Street and Stoney Street.

What larks Pip, what larks.....

Wednesday 21 April 2004 11.55am
And don't forget that the plants will get huge (six almost made my 15ft square yard impenetrable last year), and will need watering at least every morning and evening..... enjoy!

Wednesday 21 April 2004 12.05pm
It's the (child substitute) regular watering that I'm looking forward to, Luke.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've no excuse for not doing it now.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 12.17pm

How about Columbia Road flower market on a Sunday?
Not sure if they sell Veggie plants though.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 12.39pm
I like the idea of all the plants at Colombia Road being carnivorous - it would make carrying them back on the bus much more exciting.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.28pm
I expect youve got enough ideas by now but if not, here's a few community-minded ones. I'm not especially recommending them for particular varieties or even particular vegetables (if you'll excuse me jumping in and not answering the question as asked), just for sources of non-commercial plants in general, and because they are all interesting places to visit if youve got the time.

1. St Mungos hostel, round the back of the Welsh Chapel in Southwark Bridge Rd have a thriving gardening project run by a chap called Martin. They often have plants to sell, best time to call is Wednesday mornings. Pot luck (pun intended) what they have on the go though.

2. Not in SE1 but nearby, and definitely worth a visit in its own right is Surrey Docks City Farm, Rotherhithe St. 020-7231-1010
Easy on the 381 bus.
They also have horticulture projects and plants for sale, again pot luck. And bring home a bagful of manure for your toms and cucumbers while you're at it!

3. Not in SE1 and not even near, but a great day out: Plumstead Make Merry fair. I believe this year its on Sat 8th May. Its a general fayre and great fun, on Plumstead Common. It has several stalls selling great home-produced plants. Best stall is Friends of Plumstead Common.

Good luck Ivanhoe, I'll water yours when you go away if you'll do mine (hoping against hope that you might accept this exchange before finding out exactly how many plants I've got)!

-Jo
Thursday 22 April 2004 7.30am
Agree with Rabbie that you should go to Roots and Shoots. Its great for kids so I could lend you a couple. You might even be able to trade them in.

I think the Museum of Garden History, by Lambeth Bridge, has an Open Day/plant sale this weekend. (Sunday) Unlikely to get tomatos but they do have good quality plants. It is a curious place and worth visiting.
Thursday 22 April 2004 8.05am
Overwhelmed by your great replies. Thanks everyone. Will now have so many garden centres, fetes, and men round the back of the Welsh Chapel to meet that growing tomatoes could be tricky to fit in :0)

Will keep you all updated once the growing begins (and would happily do a few shifts relief watering Ms Jo).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions