London SE1 community website

Where can I get some tomato plants in SE1 please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Monday 10 May 2004 11.29pm
Thanks for reminding me to plant the other half of the packet I started last year. Cant remember where I got it though.
Tuesday 11 May 2004 12.25am
Thanks Lil!
Tuesday 11 May 2004 9.10am
Or John Dyas, if you happen to work near one, or probably even Woolies.

Perhaps it's a sign of the SoBofication of the modern world, but rocket seed is pretty common these days (watch out for it disappearing from the market and being replaced by something more obscure).

Why not buy two packets Maurits, one for yourself? We planted out lettuce last week and the first shoots are shooting by now.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 11 May 2004 9.45am
Maurits, have a look at: http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk/ and also:
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/
They are both well known companies. Rocket is very easy to grow, so your Mother will get good results whatever you choose.

Post edited (11 May 04 09:46)
Tuesday 11 May 2004 10.14am
Rocket appealed to my money-saving instincts as having a high ratio of cost to buy at Borough Market compared to ease of growing and tastiness. It was a great success. I planted 3 small tubs, seeds straight into the soil, one each at the beginning of April, May and June, so that when one lot bolted and flowered, there was some more on the go. Nice salad all summer for 1.25 - and still have half the seeds left! Good choice - and good luck!

We shall have to think about an SE1 produce show soon - who's got the biggest marrows???
Tuesday 11 May 2004 10.22am
Ooer, missus....
Tuesday 11 May 2004 10.37am
You know, TULMJ, that just accross the Bourough tube station, where Long Lane begins, is a garden where they grow Rosemary. You are allowed to pick a reasonable amount for free. I discovered that on my way back from the Market where I paid 2 for a bunch. I think they grow other herbs as well!
Tuesday 11 May 2004 10.52am
They have a variety of herbs. I think the idea of the park is as a kitchen/medicinal garden. Didn't know that you could (officially) pick your own, but have often noted the park regulars enjoying a can of Brew and (no doubt) discussing uses for lavender and comfrey.

You can also get packs of mixed lettuce seed Maurits, that come in "spicy" or "mild" blends and are much tastier than, but otherwise similar in composition to, the bags of breathtakingly expensive and generally half-dead "herb salad" that you get in supermarkets.

Use the same process as Ms Jo describes above. You'll get young leaves within 2-3 weeks and you can just take a pair of scissors to them, cut what you want for a salad, and the leaves will grow back again a few times before going to seed/losing their taste. If you ever grew cress at school.....this is even easier.

Southbankside - rural idyll...

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 11 May 2004 10.22pm
Yes I did know about the Garden, Maurits, in fact I planted most of the Rosemary bushes, 2 or 3 years ago! Also some different thymes and some other things, but the small things mostly got covered with the bark chips and died. Some other people, including the Park Rangers, planted the big bed at the back, which is where the medicinal herbs are. It was done in conjunction with The Herb Garrett museum. Then BOST came along with Walworth Garden Farm and did the rest of the gardens, absolutely beautifully. What did Southwark Council do? Not much, as usual (having a 'rant at Southwark' phase) though they do provide a few Park Rangers who do their best to look after it.
Wednesday 12 May 2004 9.52am
Well done! I love the garden!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions