London SE1 community website

Where can I get some tomato plants in SE1 please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Wednesday 12 May 2004 9.16am
A 'cut & come again' variety of lettuce, such as saladisi by Thompson & Morgan (link above) would suit you Maurits.

As it says, you cut it, and it keeps on growing for you so you can come again!
Wednesday 12 May 2004 10.05am
No. He's changing lettuce. He wants an interest only slug-tracker.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 28 May 2004 9.24am
... is opening this weekend as part of the National Gardens Scheme

Sat 29th and Sun 30 May from 2.00pm -5.00pm

Lambeth Community Care Centre, Monkton Street SE11

2/3-acre garden. Mixed shrubs, trees, small rose garden, herbs, interesting walkways and mixed borders. Very large plant sales. London Gardens Society Hospital Gold Cup Winner 2002

How to get there:
Either - Tube or buses to Elephant & Castle, cut behind Leisure Centre to Brook Drive. Turn into Sullivan Rd, passage to Monkton St.

Or - Buses: 3, 109, 159 or drive (ample parking) to Kennington Rd; at Ship public house turn into Bishop's Terrace, 1st R to Monkton St

Admission 1, chd 50p
Home-made TEAS

James will no doubt be appalled by this plug for an event in the depths of SE11, but I think its near enough to most SE1ites to count as local.

This garden is an amazing place, maintained by a dedicated team on a shoestring budget.

The plant sales are always fantastic, with a wide range of stuff - best to get there on Saturday if you want some of the rarities.

The whole event has a wonderful old-fashioned atmosphere, perhaps down to the cut-glass tones of some of the gentel Kennington ladies chatting while people from Elephant estates munch on home made cakes.

It's like my mental image of the Ambridge village fete.
Friday 28 May 2004 9.49am
Rabbie!!!

How dare you mention TA in vain? Nothing could compare to the village fete (unless they've got marmalade drizzle cake on offer this weekend!)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 28 May 2004 1.36pm
Ivanhoe,

Rabbie may be right. This event is good - I used to live opposite and the gardens are lovely. And the chance of marmalade drizzle cake is high.

Even better is the annual North Lambeth parish fete held in the grounds of Lambeth Palace. The only chance most peole get to see the Archbishops garden. That has the lot. Last time I went the vicar appeared to be in evening dress for some unknown reason. The home-made cakes were good and as were the jams. Those in the know arrive early and head straight for the product of the better local jam makers. A very strange sense of being part of an old village community. Made scarey by the fact that I met at least a dozen people I knew.

Is either Rabbie or James aware of this year's date.

Sarah

Post edited (28 May 04 18:35)
Friday 28 May 2004 2.44pm
I don't think that the fete is traditionally until the last week of June.

BUT... Both Lambeth Palace Gardens and the Museum of Garden History open for the National Gardens scheme on Sat 5 June

Lambeth Palace Gardens

Museum of Garden History

Friday 28 May 2004 5.10pm
[BUMP]
Friday 28 May 2004 5.42pm
Lambeth Parish Fete takes place on Saturday, June 26th from 2-5pm. Admission 3 "by programme and garden guide" Concessions
Saturday 29 May 2004 11.15am
See 28 May post above for details

EDITED TO ADD:

Wot no marmalade drizzle cake!

Because the builders are still in refurbishing the ground floor, there are no tea and cakes this year Refreshments are confined to free glasses of squash.

However, the garden is looking stunning.

Post edited (30 May 04 10:53)
Tuesday 28 April 2015 12.50pm
Reopening an ancient thread. Where these days can I get vegetable plants locally?

There used to be a stall outside the LSBU exit of Elephant tube station, but it seems to have closed.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions