London SE1 community website

GP Surgery - Recommendation?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 7 February 2011 6.29pm
Kory wrote:
Steer clear ( in my opinion) of Princess St Practice in Elephant and Castle.

I've been a patient for 33 years and never had any problems with PSGP.
Monday 7 February 2011 11.58pm
Avoid Mill Street the main GP is rude and arrogant. Mind you when all is said and done you're unlikely to have more than 2 practices to choose from... as they keep their catchment areas small.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 2.02pm
Don't you have to be in the catchment area of a particular surgery anymore? Sometimes the catchment area is a couple of streets. I have been around SE1 a bit and approve the Decima Street practice, the Princess Street Group Practice and the Blackfriars surgery. The Parkers Row Practice off the Jamaica Road, however, was atrocious. They had the rudest practice nurse you can imagine, the GPs did not appear to pay much attention when you explain your ailment(s), their booking system was shambolic with you only being able to book an appointment to take place within 48 hours of calling them (and then only if you can get through on the phone), and if you complain to the practice manager, you get told to go elsewhere. So I did. Gladly.
Wednesday 16 March 2011 10.35am
Has anyone got experience of artesian? i have a heart issue and the mill street surgery was so bad I cant face going back. The female GP snapped at me and said I had mental issues when I was worried about my scan
Wednesday 16 March 2011 10.42am
Artesian is part of the Landsdowne Medical Mission at Decima Street. The main doctors are at Decima Street, with sexual health and emergency appointments at Artesian I think

My GP Dr Louise Tebbith is great. Very patient and understanding, and committed to getting you the right service. Would never question your mental issues I think!
Wednesday 16 March 2011 4.39pm
cheers luce!

dont have mental issues btw - well no worse than most
Thursday 17 March 2011 1.58am
Artesian isn't just for sexual health and emergencies, I see my regular Decima St doctor there. Actually, I think the sexual health clinic is separate - they have their own receptionist and their clients sit in a separate bit.
Have been a patient at Decima for nearly 17 years (and I go every month!) and have always been treated with kindness and courtesy by all the staff.
Thursday 17 March 2011 1.49pm
I second (or is it third?) the Bermondey and Lansdowne Medical Mission (Decima Street/ Artesian practice). They've been my doctors since 2005 and imho are great.
Friday 18 March 2011 10.35pm
Been in the area since 1999 and was a victim, sorry patient, of Mill St for several years.
Mill Street should have been shut down years ago on grounds of health and safety.

Decima wouldn't have me when I tried to leave Mill Street some years ago because I was 5 metres outside their zone (halfway down Abbey St from Tower Bridge Road, a whole 200 yards away from their practice) but I've heard they are good. Obviously I have no experience.

However I had a suspected STI last summer and I would NOT recommend the Artesian clinic at all. It's horrible.
Some kid who didn't know how to put a speculum in (after a fair bit of teeth clenching and then plain screaming I begged and offered to do it for him)

Go to Guys sexual health clinic.

Sorry I'm not going to tell you where I do go now for GP services because they are really non existent and the place I go now has only got ONE good dr for the whole area and it's hell getting to see him with everyone else having come to the same conclusion.

Good luck. Go private.
paz
Tuesday 22 March 2011 6.42pm
Hi All
Been following this forum for ages and love the community in SE1, village feel in urban insanity!
I've recently moved into The Circle (renting in North block) so if anyone else here lives there feel free to pop in and say hi!
Anyway, thought I would post here to ask for any other GP recommendations in the area near Shad Thames/Tooley Street.
While Decima sounds lovely, I think I'm maybe too far from there and it's also in the opposite direction to my walk home from London Bridge Station.
Went to Mill St today for emergency appointment and while the GP was lovely, was on the phone waiting to get connected for quite a few minutes and the ladies at reception were patronising and incredibly brusque.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Paz
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions