London SE1 community website

Laundrette closure on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 9 February 2011 9.43am
I do hope the kitchen shop doesn't go - I'm a regular in there and they are always so helpful in ordering in anything they haven't got in the shop. Does anyone know how long they've been there? I also enjoyed the Portugese grocer shop and less frequently the laundrette.
roy
Wednesday 9 February 2011 10.39am
My fear is we'll end up with a generic high st populated my Starbucks and pret a mangers - yes plural.
I love the mix of SE1 and would hate to lose its uniqueness - I am especially worried about plans for Lower Marsh.
Radio Days, ScooterWorks , Coopers and all the other quirky shops , The grumpy veg guy , the mexican stall, Ruby Murray, barca, flute shop , what the butler saw - How do we get together to say we feel strongly about preserving these places - other than shopping there of course.
Prevent hikes in rental.
Friday 11 February 2011 2.05pm
Was chatting to the chap that owned Radio days last friday - he thinks the cut is a gonna and that we now need to have concerns for keeping lower marsh going strong. KEEP VOTING WITH YOUR FEET!
Friday 11 February 2011 3.13pm
Quote:
How do we get together to say we feel strongly about preserving these places - other than shopping there of course.

Indeed. Panbros was a bit of a waste of space imo, not that I want to see wall-to-wall Prets and Starbucks es either.
Friday 18 February 2011 11.15am
Rumour is that Costa Coffee will take over the Panbros site. Though whether they are seeking to extend next door into the kitchen shop is uncertain. This is obviously a really positive development as there's an acute shortage of chain coffee shops on that block of The Cut. I mean, with the Costa Coffee there, we'll be spared the 15 yard walk to Nero & Pret A Manger.

The person who told me this (a long time Cut business owner) said, with a certain fatalism, 'at least it's not McDonalds'.

Is that what it's come to?
Friday 18 February 2011 12.19pm
I've very recently heard that the kitchen shop (what is it called?) is staying - hurrah! So Costa Coffee or whoever won't be extending into their premises.
Wednesday 23 February 2011 9.52pm
Apparently the glass and china shop is going too:

http://octaviahillwaterloo.blogspot.com/2011/02/outrage-at-closure-of-3rd-shop-in-2.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Wednesday 23 February 2011 10.00pm
Oh no, that's terrible.
Thursday 24 February 2011 8.54am
I said he had no stock
Thursday 24 February 2011 9.44am
That's shocking. Nothing but greed on the part of the landlord. The electrical shop and the bike shop will no doubt be next and we'll have nothing but coffee bars, restaurants and takeaways. Pitiful.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions