London SE1 community website

Laundrette closure on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 25 February 2011 5.23pm
Is this a rent issue?
Friday 25 February 2011 10.17pm
Yes.
Sunday 27 February 2011 12.58pm
I had a long talk last week to on of the shop owners in Lower Marsh. Thye suspect that if the station is ever reconstructed it would be the end of the street. People are buying properties speculatively but a number of them are owned by landlords who want to keep rents low, so there is some hope.
Jac
Sunday 27 February 2011 1.13pm
Mini Haha wrote:
I do hope the kitchen shop doesn't go - I'm a regular in there and they are always so helpful in ordering in anything they haven't got in the shop. Does anyone know how long they've been there?

It's been there for as long as I have known The Cut so at least 28 years. And Mr Jac says his dad remembers the electrical shop so that has been there substantially longer.
Tuesday 1 March 2011 5.22pm
There was a discussion about this last year just before Pret moved in: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/128650/page=1

I don't think it's even the Pret effect, but started before Caffe Nero moved in.....probably when the Palestra building was proposed opposite Southwark Tube, bringing in a couple of thousand extra workers.

It's now kicking in as more rent reviews come up - I don't think they can throw existing businesses out or hike rents until the scheduled rent review and these are usually at 5 or 10 year intervals.

So much has changed over that period, rents were probably averaging somewhere between 10k and 30k, whereas Caffe Nero , Pret et al are likely to be paying 50k, 75k or substantially more. Deal data is generally available and so landlords can check this. Most of the chains have agents who are pretty active and know where leases are coming up so will quite often approach landlords before the business goes on the open market - while the present incumbent is worrying about the increases. They will take on long leases with bank guarantees and if the outlet takes time to build up, it doesn't matter - they can afford to subsidise it. It is quite depressing if you're trying to start or run a small business.

Sadly, it seems rather inevitable that once again without an enlightened landlord the small independents will disappear as their businesses will never bring in enough to pay those sort of rents. Read something over the weekend about how we, in the UK, are generally much more open and accepting of chains compared to most other European countries......so it must be our fault!
Saturday 22 October 2011 12.07am
Reviving an old post here but this has really pee'd me off the last 2 days. I live on the Cut and my local amenities are fast disappearing... Everyone I know that travel in to work in this area...(I have the luxury of working 2 minutes away) absolutely loved some of these shops on the Cut,and even take regular strolls down to the Marsh.

Is there a petition going round to save the shops from rent increases. why should the locals who have lived here most of their lives be subjected to shop in another Tesco Express, M&S Local, Pret a Manger , Cafe Nero?

I originally searched this post because I wanted to go to a laundrette close by... BUT BECAUSE IT HAS SHUT DOWN. I have no clue where the next closest Laundrette is!-(if anyone could let me know that would be great)
Saturday 22 October 2011 9.41am
They're a fast disappearing breed, but there is one on Lower Marsh, couple stops down from the gentlemen's outfitters (there's a phrase being lost to time).
Sunday 23 October 2011 9.52am
I would reccommend that Samlouise uses the laundrette in Lower Marsh and check the variety of shops and services available, and please do check them and use them because that is how we will keep them open. Footfall and cash in the tills is what these traders need and deserve.
I have used the following in the last three months; Dave the greengrocer, Greggs, Ian Allan, Cafe del Marsh, Marie's cafe,The kitchen shop, Toolbar,the mini-supermarket and newsagent,Boots, SDV Jewellers, Pizza place,Greensmiths -especially the butcher's section,the secondhand record and bookshops, Iceland, Coopers health food shop,Rymans, Charlie who sells clothes outside Coral Bay.
What I haven't used is any of the twelve or so streetfood takeaway stalls that are part of the modernisation of the market with the odd one or two other stalls. Footfall has certainly increased but I have not heard one original trader saying their trade has increased. I do so hope it does because I want to continue using my local market as I have done for the last 60 years.
Monday 24 October 2011 12.19pm
thebunhouse wrote:

Hi,

I always use the Shops down the Marsh as it is so convenient. although I have never seen or recollect seeing a Laundrette. Mainly because I used the one in the Cut.

I too believe that the local people should be using local amenities. I have just come back from the Marsh actually after buying some nice wool from I Knit.

I think a campaign should be started so that what has happened to the Cut shouldn't happen to the Marsh.

I really hope that we can keep our local shops in business, If you read the post and think "yeah whatever" then think about in another years time when you want to cook a nice meal and Greensmiths has dissapeared or you need a drill bit and the DIY shop has dissapeared. sounds trivial now but wait and you will see how bloody annoying it is!

anyone else think that a "support our Local shops" campaign will be a good idea?
Tuesday 1 November 2011 8.51pm
the friendly lady who wokred in the kitchen shop is now in Greensmiths, which is nice
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions