London SE1 community website

Yet another Tesco!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Zoe
Tuesday 6 August 2013 9.11pm
Here's the response I got!

Thank you for your letter. I have sent your letter to the team who does ranging for our stores. Generally, the stores reflect the shoppers in the community and customers 'vote with their feet' by purchasing specific products, which informs how we stock the store.

We do have an increasingly important and growing 'world food' range in our stores which we overlay into the product mix.

Again, I have passed this note along and appreciate you reaching out.
Tuesday 6 August 2013 9.56pm
spych102 wrote:
Wherefore art thou Waitrose? (sic)
Outside of SE1 but nearby, new Waitrose in Vauxhall bus station, ironically next to the Big Issue HQ!
Tuesday 6 August 2013 11.21pm
Seems Waitrose has an allergy to SE1 and Tesco and Sainsbury are a rash on the area.
Wednesday 7 August 2013 8.01pm
Zoe, could you translate the letter; does it say 'we don't give a damn', or 'we'll just sell what give us the biggest profits'?
Zoe
Wednesday 7 August 2013 8.11pm
Bit of both
Thursday 8 August 2013 12.13am
How exactly can we vote with our feet to get them to sell stuff they never have had in in the first place?
Zoe
Thursday 8 August 2013 7.41am
Yes, how will their 'ranging' adapt to more than just beer, milk and bread?

We are going to ask them to come and speak to us over at Styles House. It probably won't work but they did offer and we can only try.
Thursday 8 August 2013 2.20pm
Still no letters here... I think I will email him. Let us know about the meeting, if we are welcome to join in :)
Thursday 8 August 2013 2.50pm
I read of these new Tesco and Sainsburys stores with some jealousy. I sympathise with the preference for a nice friendly local store which has a good range of products - truth is that I am jealous of those too, but a chain would be better than my local 'convenience' store!

If anyone from Tesco/Sainsburys/Co-Op/Morrisons is reading this, please consider taking over 157-163 Old Kent Road. Google Streetview here 10 years ago it was a Costcutter, before Costcutter became half decent and moved out leaving us with Payless Express where you neither pay less nor get anything express (except rudeness) It's now called something else but has the same half empty shelves, surly staff and close to sell by date products which cost different amounts on different days. It's right next to a very busy bus stop and would be perfect for people who don't want to walk the additional 10 mins to the big Tesco on Dunton Rd or need to shop quickly/use cards thereby ruling out Lidl.
Thursday 8 August 2013 5.39pm
Maybe you still have hope... when I moved here in 1999 all there was were the Costcutter and a few other similar independents, and the Iceland in Lower Marsh (still good value, some of the stuff they sell are exactly the same as Sainsbury's local but sometimes more than 50% cheaper). And still there has been no new residential buildings in the area, apart from student halls. So don't think they have the residents on their minds at all, or they would have been here long ago?

The Costcutters is good for topping up stuff and middle of the night alcohol(ahem), but unfortunately they seem to have relaxed their pricing quite a bit of recent. I seem to be charged a different (lower) price on my beers when served by one of the longtime staff, who know me. The prices are not displayed and I guess the occasional visitor pays a premium.

And their milk always goes off immediately after opening :P
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions