London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre to endure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 16
Tuesday 10 May 2011 4.51pm
Dammit, I'm far away over the sea or I'd be there shouting loudly.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 5.04pm
Thanks Luke, I'd like to but can't do Friday, would be very grateful if you can share anything interesting here.

But, whatever consultation follows Tuesday's decision is going to be hampered by that agreement, which abandons the master plan and keeps the shopping centre. No one is being consulted, or even properly informed, on those decisions.

Looking through the paper for the meeting I see that there is a new proposal for the tube station. It states TfLs prefered option is a new circulating space and three escalators, but this requires the centre's demolition. If the centre is to be refurbished it states that aditional lifts and a larger ticket hall could be provided. Neither option is funded.

Reading that transport section again, I'm alarmed to read "There is a desire to continue the public realm improvements at the Southern roundabout by introducing at grade crossings for the northern roundabout along with redesigning the bus interchange areas, estimated cost 40m (TfL)"

A desire, and also, no mention of changing the road layout as per the masterplan?
Saturday 14 May 2011 1.12pm
Will write up yesterday's meeting some time this weekend, but in the meantime this is from the minutes of Cllr Colley's interview with the overview and scrutiny committee on 21 March. I guess it's been slightly overtaken by subsequent events, but I thought it was worth flagging up:

"5.14 Members were concerned about plans for the shopping centre. The desire of local residents was for a new centre but there were rumours of a much more limited redevelopment. Councillor Colley reported that the owners of the centre were now showing an interest in doing something. There were pros and cons to various options which ranged from knocking down the centre to using the inner core without complete demolition. One advantage to retaining the core would be that transformation would come sooner and be technically quicker to achieve. Shops could continue trading and there would be environmental benefits. However it could be questioned whether this would be a sufficient redevelopment, it was important to get the right result for the area. A member sought assurance that any improvements would have regard to the Elephant & Castle development framework. Eleanor Kelly reported that positive negotiations were under way between Lend Lease, St Modwen Properties and the council. Proposals would be put out to public consultation in May."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 6.41am
17 May 2011 Last updated at 18:38

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13427253

Elephant and Castle shopping centre to be redeveloped

The shopping centre will be rebuilt as part of the area's 15-year regeneration

Labour-led Southwark Council has agreed the details with the centre's owners.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 9.22am
Good press - The BBC printed it word for word, with no alternative view - well done communications dept!
Wednesday 18 May 2011 9.40am
I couldn't make yesterday, but I take it from that the BBC article the deal was done...

And a render from the old scheme that has nothing to do with what will now happen :(
Wednesday 18 May 2011 10.58am
I was there yesterday and gleaned several new bits of information - hope to have it written up later today.

Incidentally, today is the 10th anniversary of the short-lived Southwark Land Regeneration deal: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/20

Wednesday 18 May 2011 1.43pm
Story: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5297

Wednesday 18 May 2011 2.43pm
Thanks James.
Do you think they'll release the draft plans in advance of the Sept application (i.e. before things have become set in stone)? Might this be one for an FOI request if they're being sticky about it?
Obviously the councillors like what they've seen so far, so it's reasonable to assume that the developers will try to hit the same buttons in the final submissions.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 3.13pm
Ten years - no way!
Current: 10 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions