London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre to endure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 16
Wednesday 18 May 2011 4.16pm
Thanks as ever James, not sure what we'd do without you.

Yes, I'm going to email and ask to see the sketches, if they have been shared publicly there's no reason not to.

Still mystified how you can keep the core, but take the steps and ramps away, do you jump up to the floor height?
Wednesday 18 May 2011 4.21pm
I'm horrified! TWO new towers, not just one which was bad enough where we were promised open space, ground level shops and a big civic square. I'm appalled.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 4.22pm
Fiona Colley seems to have twisted St Modwen's arm to agree to share the images at next week's inaugural meeting of the new E&C consultative forum set up by Lend Lease, but that's an invitation-only event.

I don't get the impression they will be keen to see any images published online or in print at this stage, but I may be wrong (I hope so).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 4.25pm
It was always two towers Jackie (wasn't it?) but one either side of the new public space. They'll be less than half the height of the master-plan towers, thanks to the Serpentine viewing corridor.
Wednesday 18 May 2011 5.05pm
I don't want to come across as cynical (god forbid!) but I've been living here long enough to remember the plan with the tower with the holes in it and the hanging gardens and the A201 going through the tunnel...

Is any of this going to happen at all, or is it just this year's plan?

(I actually don't mind the centre as it is - I'm kind of used to it, and I like the fact that it's cheap enough for the South American shops etc - but then all the plans seem quite nice, too.)
Thursday 19 May 2011 1.29pm
Peter John has blogged on this subject:
http://cllrpeterjohn.blogspot.com/2011/05/elephant-castle-shopping-centre.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 May 2011 7.13pm
No no Jamesup. There were meant to be two towers of which one is Strata and another one which was/is going to be 360 London on the site of the old Park Hotel beyond the playground in St. Mary's Churchyard. Then there is going to be Oakmayne Plaza on NKR/Elephant Road. The whole shopping center area was going to be razed and be open space, walkways and a huge civic square. The Southern Roundabout was going to be a continuation of the Walworth Road with some swanky shops, and the rest a huge open space to rival Trafalgar Square. There was never any plan to stick up towers where the shopping center is. However St. Modwen have ALWAYS acted as a spanner in the works since they were always sulking because LL got the job and not them so they were determined to be obstructive and uncooperative. But to imagine that both Hannibal House AND another building will add another two towers to the centre of the E&C is horrendous.
Thursday 19 May 2011 8.08pm
developers 1 - 0 residents
Friday 20 May 2011 8.36am
Hmm, I'm confused then - I've always expected two tall towers on the shopping centre site, as per the images here. Strata and 360's planning approval was off masterplan.
Friday 20 May 2011 11.37am
I checked the Lendlease Agreement again, the massing model and plan they show for the revised masterplan (post Boris viewing corridor) has three mid-rise towers on the site of the shopping centre.

Page 48.
Current: 11 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions