London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre to endure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16
Wednesday 9 February 2011 1.04pm
I guess most of the units are let even if they're not all shops - eg I think Tesco uses its top floor as storage etc
Wednesday 9 February 2011 1.21pm
St Modwen are doing what any shareholder-owned company would do - maximise the value of its assets and yield of its operations.

Better for all of us than it just falling disused in the reasonable expectation it was to be demolished ages ago!
Wednesday 9 February 2011 2.06pm
I'm surprised they have not made it into a building of historical interest!senior moment here what is it when they protect it...oh bother make it a listed building!

Did not realised it was that old..
Wednesday 9 February 2011 2.31pm
I think anyone dreaming of a Waitrose at Elephant & Castle, or a more upmarket shopping experience in general, can continue dreaming. It's never gonna happen. Areas which experience that kind of gentrification usually feature at least a street or two of run-down historic buildings with character and potential for restoration. Elephant & Castle is not such an area. Even the most grandiloquent plans never foresaw anything other than the retention of the vast majority of the post-war buildings overlooking the roundabouts. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I suspect that after whatever regeneration eventually transpires, it will remain a part of London free from the usual telltale signs of upward mobility. And I regard that as a good thing. Aesthetics aside, I quite like E&C the way it is.

Does every part of London need to become gentrified in the same old predictable way, which starts with an out-on-a-limb gastropub and ends in a branch of Foxtons? Aren't there enough such areas? Must people of lower incomes and benefits always be displaced in the interests of regeneration, or can we aspire to a genuinely all-inclusive, diverse new E&C that everyone feels comfortable in? Sorry to get all utopian and all, but...
Wednesday 9 February 2011 5.39pm
M&S on walworth road has recently added a food section with good quality, more upmarket produce. They received planning permission a few weeks back for a general upgrade of the entire store
Thursday 10 February 2011 10.02am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
I think anyone dreaming of a Waitrose at Elephant & Castle, or a more upmarket shopping experience in general, can continue dreaming. It's never gonna happen. Areas which experience that kind of gentrification usually feature at least a street or two of run-down historic buildings

Like Canary Wharf? That place was pretty much leveled as far as I remember. As long as there's a large enough concentration of people, and a balanced social mix (as opposed to be being completely unbalanced like E&C is now), Waitrose (or some other upmarket) will do fine.

People probably said the same thing about Islington years ago, and there's now a shiny new Waitrose sitting right next to Chapel Market. Cor blimey!
Thursday 10 February 2011 10.37am
Why would you and how do you Balance the social mix?
Thursday 10 February 2011 11.03am
By mproving retail, leisure facilities and public open space. This will attract people to the area from a wider range of social status, and at the same time, improve the area for existing residents. Not so bad is it?
Thursday 10 February 2011 11.33am
All I am going to say about Waitrose is that this forum has put me off completely ever wanting to visit one. So won't be missing them either ;)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions