London SE1 community website

Southwark Park Nursing Home or Dustbin?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 11 March 2014 1.31pm
I hope it re-opens with new staff, new managers etc., and new owners who spend a month living there. Many years ago looking for somewhere for my lovely sister in law who had advanced parkinsons..it was a cleanish dumping ground where the residents sat in a circle waiting to die. It reminded me of a furniture warehouse, if it was possible to store chairs up on the wall they would have done.

She went into the lovely St.Olaves Nursing home where she died several years later, then in 2003 my husband went in. he died in 2006. Shortly after that it was closed. It would make a smashing day centre, it had kitchens,bedrooms,dining room,bathroom,dining room. Now all rotting away, think it has something to do with the NHS so it has to be saved..Rod Craig had knowledge of it, he was with southwark council at the time.

Down Ann Moss way if anyone wanted to see, it had a garden outside with flowers and a lovely apple tree. Just right for people to sit and enjoy their final days.what a shame....
Friday 30 May 2014 1.58pm
To Whom It Concerns,

We are a group of around 60 people presently occupying the premises known as “Southwark Park Nursing Home”.

At the beginning of our occupation we were in friendly communication with the management of Southwark Park Nursing Home, and we wish to continue in this manner in our negotiations towards a reasonable agreement with them.

We regret that this negotiation has become adversarial since our original conversation when a representative of Southwark Park Nursing Home agreed to let us stay.

We feel that this has happened as a result of “second thoughts” such as “they will destroy the building”, “potential issues with neighbours”, and “electricity costs” etc.

1. We have cleared large amounts of rubbish, and tidied the premises, inside and out, showing by our actions that we intend to take reasonable care of the premises.

2. We can show that issues with our neighbours are being dealt with as an ongoing process. For example, initially there were several noise complaints, which were communicated to the management. We responded by giving our neighbours a phone number to communicate their concerns to us. The following weekend there were 5 complaints. We had a meeting, and the next weekend there was only one complaint. Last weekend (24th May) there were no complaints.

3. Should Southwark Park Nursing Home decide to proceed with an eviction, they may be faced with hiring a security company, which would cost considerably more than our electricity consumption.

We have shown by our actions that we will effectively care-take the premises at little cost to the owners.

If we are given 28 days notice, we will agree to leave the premises in reasonable condition, at any time within 28 days of when the premises will required to be vacant, (for example for building works to commence, or for sale or lease of the premises).
Sunday 1 June 2014 4.36pm
Wish the squatters in the Beehive showed such consideration! I am listening to a barrage/wall of sound from the pub, have phoned the noise department and I think their hands are tied. How ever they did say they would confiscate the sound equipment. Last weekend it went on for over a day with hundreds of revellers/drug takers/sellers turning up non stop. the lights outside are still on, the squatters must have forced the steel shutters back, and with the use of a kitchen/bedrooms will now be going anywhere soon. You would think they would keep their heads down and not cause a nuisance. Our small street has a small estate behind the pub with many elderly people wishing they were deaf and able to turn of hearing aids!
npt
Monday 2 June 2014 12.11pm
Hi New Neighbours

Thanks for the response and good to hear that you're keeping the place clean and attempting to take control of the situation - it certainly doesn't appear any different from the outside.

Whilst I don’t really mind 'an occupation' of an empty building in principle (assuming no issues with noise/crime etc etc), surely the visible graffiti on the internal walls is a bit of an indication that perhaps the above claim of 'reasonable care' isn’t true. The arrogance of ‘hiring security to remove us is more expensive then the electricity we’re stealing’ is a bit off-putting too. Many years ago I lived in a flat where we were threatened with eiviction after 2 noise complaints in 6 months, so I would also suggest that 6 in the space of a week is excessive.

As mentioned, have no great issue with 'squatters', just as long as they fit into the neighbourhood like any other resident would.
Wednesday 11 June 2014 2.24pm
Hello,

Seriously you are keeping the place tidy?
Looking around i do not think you are doing a very good job of that.
As for the noise, there is a constant dog noise and screaming and shouting.
I live quiet a few doors away and hear this during the night into the early hours, the closer neighbors you say you get on well with must be saints.
First of all i had no objections of you living there but what all neighbors need to have is respect and on that note you fail, so when Southwark Park Nursing Home do evict you it will be no sad loss to me.

lion joe
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions