London SE1 community website

Closing down sale - kitchen shop - The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 7 March 2011 11.11am
Perhaps they could move to the E&C shopping centre? Hopefully they're still cheaper than that, and not too far away.
I agree it sucks that the shop is having to close, but I fully expect to see something similar happen to the businesses near Elephant if that area ever regenerates. The traders that survive will be those that are able to adapt their businesses to attract the newly affluent neighbours so that they can afford to stay on.
Perhaps the council (or whoever is running the regeneration in Elephant) should be encouraged to run some courses for local traders explaining this? It looks like it's sadly too late for The Cut.
Monday 7 March 2011 11.42am
A protest is planned of Saturday 12 March, 1-2pm.

From Octavia Hill Residents Association:

Dear Residents,

Following the closure of Panbros and the launderette, Southbank Glass and China are closing down on 26th March.

The closure of these businesses which gave invaluable service to the community is due to the greed of the landlords increasing rents by 100%. We believe Costa Coffee wish to open in the premises formerly occupied by Panbros.

Octavia Hill Residents’ Association have been asked to co-ordinate a protest in the Cut on Saturday 12th March between 1pm – 2pm. We need to make it clear to the landlords of these premises that we will oppose any change of use with Lambeth Council.

We have the full support of the residents and resident’s associations of Windmill House, Stiles House and Ipsden Flats.

Please support this protest as we have enough coffee shops restaurants and bars.

We hope to see you on 12th March 1pm to 2pm
Monday 7 March 2011 1.37pm
Costa Coffee ?! Typical we really don't need any more coffee shops and certainly not at the cost of local traders, the rent increase to the current owners is disgusting.
Monday 7 March 2011 6.28pm
jackt wrote:
A protest is planned of Saturday 12 March, 1-2pm.
From Octavia Hill Residents Association:

Dear Residents,

Following the closure of Panbros and the launderette, Southbank Glass and China are closing down on 26th March.

The closure of these businesses which gave invaluable service to the community is due to the greed of the landlords increasing rents by 100%. We believe Costa Coffee wish to open in the premises formerly occupied by Panbros.

Octavia Hill Residents’ Association have been asked to co-ordinate a protest in the Cut on Saturday 12th March between 1pm – 2pm. We need to make it clear to the landlords of these premises that we will oppose any change of use with Lambeth Council.

We have the full support of the residents and resident’s associations of Windmill House, Stiles House and Ipsden Flats.

Please support this protest as we have enough coffee shops restaurants and bars.

We hope to see you on 12th March 1pm to 2pm

Not too loud please ..am on night shifts ;)
Tuesday 8 March 2011 2.20pm
Definately worth supporting - see you there!
Monday 28 March 2011 8.00pm
Last couple of days for the china shop now.

Just spotted this planning application for the Panbros/Southbank China building - the owners want to turn the current 6 flats into 10:

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=LHDNPEBO0GL00

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 28 March 2011 9.53pm
Flats is probably worse than a coffe shop, as there is no chance of it ever then being used as a shop in the future.
Monday 28 March 2011 10.00pm
I don't imagine that the planning application affects the ground level retail.

If anything, I suspect they will relocate the entrance to the residential accommodation to enable the three shops to be more easily combined into a single retail unit.

We'll have to wait for the plans to be uploaded to the Lambeth site to see exactly what is proposed.

My money's on Tesco Express (or similar) opening on the ground floor.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 29 March 2011 5.54pm
Just come back from the kitchen shop closing down. Very sad! A steady stream of people going in to buy one last thing. On the way back remembered all the things I've bought over the years - the soup and breakfast bowls we still use, the bathroom mirror, the stack of metal baskets for veg (which wasn't a good idea, actually - lost those years ago), the bowls that were far too big for soup but have turned out to be perfect fruit bowls.

If all we get out of it is yet another convenience store I'll be even more annoyed.
Friday 1 April 2011 9.37am
Does anyone know how the protest went?

this is f***** (sorry for the language) dispicable. how can shops that have been resident in an area for so long be driven out because of rent hikes? surely they should be protected as a local convenience! I love the cut, I love the mix of people you get there and the semi tourist trade brought in by the 2 Vic's but at the same time the landlords need to realise that local people NEED local amenities.... not another bloody coffee shop. someone here mentioned that they hope they move to the E&C... I really hope they dont. the Elephant is good for a bargain but they already have a couple of shops that cater for that business as it is.

I hope something can be done about this. its not like the shop was a complete dump and offended the facade of the cut.

we are already affected by living in this area from the price of local goods in the costcutters on the cut... (always expensive), and if the rent hike is happening for all of those shops who's pocket is it going to hit?! OURS!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions