London SE1 community website

White Cube Gallery on Recall site

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Sunday 10 April 2011 4.40pm
Jerry wrote:
The White Cube will provide some jobs and much cultural interest for all the local community...

I'm sure it will be widely used and appreciated by all local people, yes. BTW there's no free bar at White Cube openings.

Here's some locals here from a previous White Cube opening in their other gallery in Mayfair or is it Hoxton.
Sunday 10 April 2011 5.45pm
Am sure it will look good inside as in the shot - pity about the outside though for those who live full time next to it and having hours from 8am until midnight.
Monday 11 April 2011 10.14am
Thanks, Frank - I have done so. I have also been reading Southwark's report and spoke to Laura Webster, earlier today.

It is unlikely I will be able to attend tomorrow's meeting, due to a prior commitment.
Monday 11 April 2011 3.51pm
Hey philippots I was living in bermondsey 8 years ago and we were all eating the dust of that huge place that is called luxury development you say you live in... For what? To have more and more flats? This is art and culture moving next door! Do people need more explanation to understand how good that can be for an area? Or we just need to oppose against anything? No matter what?!
Monday 11 April 2011 4.12pm
frank peters wrote:
Am sure it will look good inside as in the shot - pity about the outside though for those who live full time next to it and having hours from 8am until midnight.

I quite feel this issue. People in Bermondsey street like to complain... a lot... I believe you are creating a dormitory out of that place.
More flat in blue lion place are wellcomed but a world famous art gallery looks like a threat.. Outside the small triangle of Bermondsey street there is a huge population who do not know what is the difference between Alain Prost and Marcel Proust!But who cares...

People who are ruling the world of the arts are supporting the scheme and the project, so the tate modern and the design museum.. what bad can this be? People around your flat? Can we find a deal to make this open next to my flat? Do people who by multimillion flats next to the tate modern think" Oh God I will have people around?!

You know what.. maybe that empty warehouse should be filled with more rabbit hole flats, would this please Bermondsey street residents??
Monday 11 April 2011 4.30pm
Think you have not read it - we don't oppose WC - we are opposing the fact that they are granting access to an inappropriate space that causes a disproportionate impact on a community.

We have an art and design focus - we also have a focus on human rights - now part of planning.

As for flats - we also opposed the previous Recal development with plenty of flats proposed. And of course there is no guarantee that it will not be full of 'rabbit hole flats' after the 15 years of WC - in fact not a bad idea - a gallery below - apply for planning for 7 stories of flats above once maximised on site and gaining all possible access points over the period - surely not.

Not sure whether those who are 'ruling the world of the arts' live around here - the ones I know don't.
Monday 11 April 2011 5.10pm
I still have the feeling somebody wants to transform this place into a posh dormitory... in the middle of a still "socially complicated area".. I wish we are going to have more arts and shops... consequently jobs and education.
Monday 11 April 2011 6.41pm
orione wrote:
I still have the feeling somebody wants to transform this place into a posh dormitory...

Well I, for one, don't wish to do that. As Frank has said, we don't oppose WC. We oppose the sneaky way they have moved the goalposts - hardly a way to embrace their new neighbours!
Wednesday 13 April 2011 10.43am
Great news that the Planning Committee voted in favour but this mystifies me!

"separate application for conservation area consent to demolish the high brick wall at the front of the warehouse was withdrawn after officers recommended refusal.

English Heritage and the council's conservation officers were concerned that opening up the yard at the front of the warehouse would detract from the historic "canyon-like" street pattern of Bermondsey Street.

White Cube's architects are now working on a new design that retains the line of Bermondsey Street at the same time as opening up the yard"

what is bloomin historic about that wall - would be so much better to have it opened up. Sometimes I'm amazed at these ridiculious decisions. Good news on the whole though.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 10.47am
Ahahah... true... it looks like a prison containment wall... yeah historic value!!

So does that mean the white cube is going on! That is good news.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions