London SE1 community website

Sweeper vans..filthy water on streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 March 2011 10.07am
Has any one else had this problems..for several years in bartholomew street the sweepers park up for their breaks. these vehicles have a large hose thing at the back and last week I watched in amazement as one of them tipped the body back up and off loaded gallons and gallons of filthy water into the street.

I phone 7525 2000 was answered by a very efficient lady who agreed that sweeping and washing the streets were counter productive if the waste water was discharged back into one of the streets it had cleaned.

A few days later I was phoned by the department and was told that any such waste is discharged into the drains, I pointed out the nearest drain on that side of the road was over 30 yards away. Still I hoped that if the Supervisor had a word with their driver it would not happen again. Again I looked out the window this morning and saw the blue and white checked sweeper, this time the hose was continously discharging the water, not in a gush more like steady large trickles, and I am peed off!

Why are these vehicles allowed to discharge waste onto the streets of Southwark, when if a smoker drops a cigarette or I dropped litter I could be fined? and where is the flipping sense of it all? Tomorrow I will have my camera ready!
Monday 7 March 2011 11.31pm
Take pictures, get the plate number if any, post them here, report them to the police etc!
We pay for this s***!

Thank you!
Tuesday 8 March 2011 12.06pm
Oddly enough looked out today and no vehicle was there perhaps I missed him, or his supervisor reads this Forum! either way will take photos...
Wednesday 9 March 2011 9.46am
The same vehicle pulled up this morning, stayed about 2 minutes and pulled away fairly quickly, parked nearby was a white van with southwark cleaning on it, perhaps the supervisor reads this forum!
Wednesday 9 March 2011 10.41am
if so, good for you, Jan. And thanks on behalf of the rest of us :)

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions