London SE1 community website

Pulse

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 16 March 2011 11.55pm
As we know, SE1 will never be an entirely residential area. Commerce is interwoven into most of our streets and has been for centuries.

Various types of that commerce come and go: think of all the warehouses that are now flats, rebalancing the previous mix. And if business activity involves shops and restaurants, their presence is mainly found pleasing. But offices now represent an increasing proportion: a boon to the daytime retail trade but a soulless weekend legacy.

Meanwhile new residential developments continue to pop up - often in proximity to existing trading establishments or spaces where (such as under all those railway arches) new businesses can start.

The question for me is: do we want to live in some form of suburban monotony where the pubs all close dutifully at 11 and no more fun is to be had?

Me, I'm a block and a half from the Ministry of Sound and have never heard a peep. For most of us I suspect intrusive noise comes much more often from neighbours - or the interminable road digging - than from any public venue, nightclub or not.
Thursday 17 March 2011 9.44am
My thoughts exactly about the soft opening, so hopefully tomorrow night will be a success and fun for all involved and no I don't want a 'suburban monotony'. As a matter of principle I never complain about music (or anything else for that matter). I'm married to a bass player and I love my music loud, but there's loud and there's loud and this was LOUD! It started around 4pm on Saturday and didn't stop for approx 12 hours. The licence, which has been approved, is very specific about noise in the surrounding area, so I'm sure this was just a blip and no one who lives as close as I do will be bothered from now on. How the 4500 people who've apparently pre-bought tickets for tomorrow night's opening are going to get home afterwards however ..... that's another question entirely!
Thursday 17 March 2011 9.59am
I could hear this i thought it was a neigbours music,
lets hope they do go straight home after on friday and dont decide to carry on partying down the riverside as alot do.
Thursday 17 March 2011 11.12am
In agreement with others here I do think we have to be wary of instantly assuming the worse of these places. Arcadia on Southwark St is closer to me than Pulse and I'm not aware of any consequential impact that that establishment has had on my quality of life. If we were to live by a negative code of 'what ifs', 'buts' and 'maybes' life probably would have never left the pond.
Thursday 17 March 2011 11.16am
Commerce has been interwoven for centuries your right Boroman, but unfortunately I can only comment on the late forties and fifties as regards of noise from pubs!

Most people worked and had to get up at the crack of dawn, and the pub closing hours were normally adhered to. Pubs closed at 11pm and the last orders bell rang at 10.50pm and every one moaned but complied. If any one was lucky to find a publican who would risk breaking the law and let you have 'afters' you would creep out quite as a mouse...

It is difficult to Balance the two, enjoyment for pub/club clientele and neighbours rights to a nights sleep.

London is a great place to work and play, but as long as the powers that be don't forget that it is also a place where people live, and children who have to get up for school in the morning!

reading this you may think I am a killjoy, but honestly I am not..:-)
Saturday 19 March 2011 5.33pm
There was an informal meeting with Pulse management and local residents on Thursday night, which was organised by BRF - see earlier posting.

Apparently there are only 17 club nights between now and the end of the year, it seems that all other events are corporate daytime events. We were told the next club night isn't until 16th April, then Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday, one in May, none in June or July - presumably that could change.

Additional soundproofing will be installed, but some other remedial action was taken to minimise the noise last night and it certainly wasn't as bad as last weekend. There appeared to be an awful lot more people though - when I came home around 1am they were queuing down Southwark Street to Hopton Street and were still queuing when I went to bed around 2.30. Must be mad - it was freezing out!

Another informal meeting is planned in about a month, once the additional soundproofing has been installed. Anyone who has any concerns could perhaps contact Bankside Residents Forum direct.
Saturday 19 March 2011 12.51pm
Friday/Saturday. Noise from the new Pulse nighclub continued until 6 in the morning. I have just learnt that the same will happen on Saturday/Sunday. The operators of the club have stated that additional soundproofing is being installed. Ear plugs seem to be the only way to get a nights sleep.
Saturday 19 March 2011 8.35pm
It would be great if one could obtain the home numbers of the councillors, then they too could enjoy late night/early entertainment!
Saturday 19 March 2011 9.48pm
I gather from the last two comments there are problems tonight. Can I suggest people follow the following route to complain to the council.
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/1245/reporting_noise_problems

I would also send any comments to the Licensing Manager Richard Parkins for his attention
richard.parkins@southwark.gov.uk

Some estates have also arranged for people to make comments in a diary, please speak to local residents chairs for details.
Make sure you record

Times
What was occuring
Did you contact an agency such as the noise team (make sure you get names)
What actions or response you got

I have also drawn these comments to councillors attention as well.

Hopefully the situation improves tonight.

Andrew
BRF
Sunday 20 March 2011 5.02pm
Papers for next week's licensing sub-committee hearing:
http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=3757&x=1#AI15936

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions