London SE1 community website

Accident on Tanner Street/junction with Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 23 March 2011 9.42pm
xtinecop wrote:
I would like to see some sort of official investigation into skip lorries as they seem to be disproportionately involved in accidents with cyclists

Yes. The speed some of them go is outrageous. I remember that day down at the Elephant when you could sit in a lorry to be all amazed at it's blind spots. Bollocks. Maybe not driving so fast that huge chunks of crap fly off the back would spare some lives.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 10.02pm
It was my post that was deleted. lets just say I expressed similar views having seen the aftermath left on the road that afternoon.
Sickening, and my heart goes out to the lad's friends and family.

Lorries and cycles DO NOT mix and the sooner London got some proper cycle paths / cycle only routes the better. The current system is a dangerous sham.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 10.56pm
I posted earlier that this death was just around the corner from the Druid St/TBR junction where David Vilaseca was killed. It's also less than a mile from Weston Street where Haris Ahmed was killed.

All three of these deaths happened under the wheels of HGV's.

Haris Ahmed died the day Boris pledged to make the streets safer and cut the number of cyclist deaths on London Streets.

One year on, one more cyclist dead under the wheels of an HGV, presumably whilst trying to enter the 'safer' cycle lane, within spitting distance of Boris HQ.

Empty promises. Fatally empty promises.

To make this even more sickening, yesterdays death coincided with an MP calling for action on cycle deaths and the 10 minute reading of a proposed bill in the commons. Though when I say 'cycle deaths', i mean, 'deaths caused by cyclists', of which I believe there have been 2 nationwide in about ten years. I don't actually disagree with the proposal, but I do object to seeing PC plod dishing out fines to (relatively harmless) reckless cyclists whilst continuing to turn a blind eye to the (often lethal) reckless car/bus/van/hgv drivers I see every day.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 11.28pm
Brendan D wrote:
Lorries and cycles DO NOT mix and the sooner London got some proper cycle paths / cycle only routes the better. The current system is a dangerous sham.

Unfortunately Brendan this city is not big enough to have a lot of separate lanes for cyclists and motor vehicles.
Especially since post Congestion Charge, where the wooly minded authorities apparently thought that a whole slew of motorists would disappear, so they went ahead with a road narrowing and road closure programme.
I have to agree with other posters that skip trucks and tippers do seem to drive faster than perhaps they should on occasion.
I don't know for sure, but maybe they get paid per trip/load, it is no excuse but it might be the reason.
As more and more cyclists have appeared on the city's roads I have had to adjust my driving style to accomodate them.
I try at all times to give them ample room when I overtake them, and if in doubt I reluctantly hold back.
I won't be mealy mouthed and lie about it, the reason that I hold back is not because I'm concerned about their welfare, it's because I can't stomach the thought of the down/non earning time and form filling that ensues following any RTA.
There are undoubtedly a minority of cyclists who are their own worst enemy.
Every working day I find that I have to take evasive action to avoid a cyclist deliberately cycling across my path and daring me to keep going, or ignoring my left indicator and trying to push straight on as I am making a turn, even when I have signalled my intention in plenty of time.
As for the victim of the incident at Tanner St., my sincere thoughts are with his family at this time.
Thursday 24 March 2011 12.23am
More cyclists on the road means drivers have to moderate their driving. City drivers learnt this a long time ago, drivers from outside don't seem to get it. More 20mph zones, more home zones, freight & through traffic needs to stick to main roads.
Thursday 24 March 2011 12.37am
They have no motive to 'get it' graham. In other parts of the city, particularly in the borough of Westminster, they seem to have these things called laws.
Thursday 24 March 2011 12.47am
Those in charge would only need to pop over to the Netherlands and some cities in Germany for a brief study on how pedestrians, cyclists and motorised traffic users manage to co-exist without excessive aggro and, more importantly, with less (fatal) accidents. It's a mix of street design (not half as elaborate and expensive as you'd think), clear laws for all, and common sense. I take part in traffic in every form apart from driving lorries. I earned my motorbike licence in Switzerland, a motorbike mad country, and I remember the trickiest thing was to remember that for a motorbike the same rules apply as for cars and for example overtaking in queues is a violation. I did it once and got fined for it. There are other rules whereby e.g. a car turning left at a light should stick close to the pavement, so that no bicycle can fit through. This was to protect the cyclist, not to give the driver an advantage. Everyone accepts these laws, because they make sense and help traffic users co-exist in relative harmony. On the streets of London the feeling seems to prevail that everyone thinks they are right and everybody else is wrong. I am getting more and more frustrated in traffic, as a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver of motorised vehicles. It is wrong and it's got to stop, and that has to come from oneself, not the other party.
Thursday 24 March 2011 8.08am
beetroot wrote:
They have no motive to 'get it' graham. In other parts of the city, particularly in the borough of Westminster, they seem to have these things called laws.
Would those be the laws that apply to EVERY road user?

Must admit that when I'm cycling, I rather think that the person who's got the greatest incentive to "get it" is me.

Sorry to hear about another accident like this.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 24 March 2011 9.41am
That poor boy, he was only 20, his family must be devastated. have accidents involving bikes and skip lorries increased since the building of the Shard?
Thursday 24 March 2011 9.52am
Ivanhoe wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Would those be the laws that apply to EVERY road user?

Obviously. Odd question.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions