London SE1 community website

Accident on Tanner Street/junction with Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 24 March 2011 11.32am
Tom Pepper wrote:
There are undoubtedly a minority of cyclists who are their own worst enemy.
Every working day I find that I have to take evasive action to avoid a cyclist deliberately cycling across my path and daring me to keep going, or ignoring my left indicator and trying to push straight on as I am making a turn, even when I have signalled my intention in plenty of time.

Please dont turn this into another thread about bad cyclists. It's not the place!

When I read the original post I wondered how long before a comment on cyclist dont obey the rules of the road etc would appear, as indeed they appeared on previous posts about fatal cycle accidents. Save it for another thread or better still lets not keep going over the same old argument.

Sadly I know how the effect of a young cyclist death can have on their love ones and my thoughts go out his family and friends and to the family of the other cyclist that was killed on the streets of South London on the same day.
Thursday 24 March 2011 11.56am
beetroot wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
beetroot wrote:
They have no motive to 'get it' graham. In other parts of the city, particularly in the borough of Westminster, they seem to have these things called laws.
Would those be the laws that apply to EVERY road user?

Obviously. Odd question.
Didn't strike me as an odd Q. I took the "they" in your reply to refer to drivers (since that's what graham was talking about, and you were replying to his post).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 24 March 2011 12.47pm
It did in that post, Ivanhoe, but I still think everyone should be behaving better. I usually ignore the cycling etc. arguments. It's the lack of any law enforcement I was really making a point about.
Thursday 24 March 2011 6.17pm
Coffee wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
There are undoubtedly a minority of cyclists who are their own worst enemy.
Every working day I find that I have to take evasive action to avoid a cyclist deliberately cycling across my path and daring me to keep going, or ignoring my left indicator and trying to push straight on as I am making a turn, even when I have signalled my intention in plenty of time.

Please dont turn this into another thread about bad cyclists. It's not the place!

Coffee,
I appreciate that it must appear that an anti-cyclist message was in my mind when I posted my input, I assure you, sincerely, that it was not.
I apologise to all readers who reached the same conclusion as your good self.
Friday 25 March 2011 8.23am
beetroot wrote:
It's the lack of any law enforcement I was really making a point about.
Interesting. I'd always hope that there was room for improvement in people following the law, rather than having a copper on every street corner.

Friday 25 March 2011 8.29am
I'm afraid this awful incident (one of many to come) is a direct result of the authorities in London failing abjectly to address the obvious health and safety issues. On the one hand there is a rabid encouragement to "get cycling" encouraged by the bonkers Mayor. However he seems to think London is Amsterdam. Er...it's not. When I last looked it's London with London's roads, traffic and culture. Which means that drivers have to be educated about cyclists and cyclists have to be taught about road safety before taking the roads. Neither has happened and the result is this and more of it.
Friday 25 March 2011 8.32am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Those in charge would only need to pop over to the Netherlands and some cities in Germany for a brief study on how pedestrians, cyclists and motorised traffic users manage to co-exist without excessive aggro and, more importantly, with less (fatal) accidents. It's a mix of street design (not half as elaborate and expensive as you'd think), clear laws for all, and common sense. I take part in traffic in every form apart from driving lorries. I earned my motorbike licence in Switzerland, a motorbike mad country, and I remember the trickiest thing was to remember that for a motorbike the same rules apply as for cars and for example overtaking in queues is a violation. I did it once and got fined for it. There are other rules whereby e.g. a car turning left at a light should stick close to the pavement, so that no bicycle can fit through. This was to protect the cyclist, not to give the driver an advantage. Everyone accepts these laws, because they make sense and help traffic users co-exist in relative harmony. On the streets of London the feeling seems to prevail that everyone thinks they are right and everybody else is wrong. I am getting more and more frustrated in traffic, as a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver of motorised vehicles. It is wrong and it's got to stop, and that has to come from oneself, not the other party.

The Netherlands also has 'strict liability' but as a motorist and a cyclist, I still object to the notion that motorist is always at fault!
Friday 25 March 2011 9.58am
jonnyp42 wrote:
The Netherlands also has 'strict liability' but as a motorist and a cyclist, I still object to the notion that motorist is always at fault!

And your comments are as valid as the next but this is NOT the place to be making them. Start a new thread if you must and do it there.

It sickens me that every time a cyclist is killed on the streets of SE1, it is posted on this forum and the same old its not always the motorist fault etc comes up. Please think about what you are saying and wether or not this is the place to say it.
Friday 25 March 2011 10.18am
Ivanhoe wrote:
beetroot wrote:
It's the lack of any law enforcement I was really making a point about.
Interesting. I'd always hope that there was room for improvement in people following the law, rather than having a copper on every street corner.

Me too, but sadly it isn't happening. I think you know I wouldn't be suggesting a huge police presence. You can be the fourth car to run the red light (accelerating dramatically to do it, maybe) without the slightest chance of being done for it. Unfortunately that's enough for some people.
Friday 25 March 2011 12.15pm
Hmm. I must admit, beetroot, that from time to time I had wondered whether a programme of random half-day police crcakdowns on e.g. driving while holding your phone; running red lights, etc, might serve as a reminder to people of what the laws are and what the penalties for breaking them are.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions