London SE1 community website

Blue Lion 1950s factory

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 28 April 2004 10.47pm
Blue Lion Court was at one time an admin centre (cheque processing) for NatWest. It was then gathered into the TSB's folio and deemed redundant. In one of the earliest major residential developments in the area, Callington Estates purchased it in 1994/5, gained the residential planning consent and sold it on to the Neville Brothers who added two floors to the proposal and built it out.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Thursday 29 April 2004 8.34am
you mean where Fogdens the oil shop/grocery , and Matthias the Bakers were! it all blurs into one now!

jan
dee
Thursday 29 April 2004 12.02pm
so where was Oyez House? was it there before the 1950's building?? or was it the 1950's building that got taken over by Nat West??

Thursday 29 April 2004 12.28pm
nearly on the corner of staple street?

jan
Jim
Thursday 29 April 2004 7.00pm
"welcome to the neighbourhood! did they warn you that the developer is trying to build a 5 story block of 25 flats over the entrance to blue lion place and the car park for 237 long lane-next to the simon-before you decided to move in"

Thanks for the welcome-thats unfortunate news if they are going to
block out the front of the 1950's building.I know they are building next door(West) to it..Whats the Simon?.....I'll have to look into the plans.

THe 1950's building, for Jan, is on the corner of Bermondsey St.and Long Lane and is set back from the road.

Thanks Jim

Jim
Thursday 29 April 2004 7.15pm
"Author: dee 
Date:   28 Apr 04 13:59

was oyez printers-don't know if they did cheque books though

welcome to the neighbourhood! did they warn you that the developer is trying to build a 5 story block of 25 flats over the entrance to blue lion place and the car park for 237 long lane-next to the simon-before you decided to move in!"

Hi dee,

Can you tell me where I might get more info on these plans? Maybe you know a good source?
thanks Jim
jan
Friday 30 April 2004 5.22am
Thanks Jim, I shall have to meander down and be nosy ! :-)

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
S
Friday 30 April 2004 5.00pm
Re the proposed development in front of the Blue Lion Place building, as far as I'm aware, the planning application has not been lodged yet. If you want to take a look at the plans, you'll need to get access to Blue Lion Place -- they are on the walls of the office of WN Developments, the company that owns the freehold.

There will, I think, be many objections from the residents. The two listed trees and the interesting architecture of the Blue Lion building will be blocked from the Long Lane view if the development goes ahead.

Naturally, these objections are irrelevant when it comes to planning objections, but I plan to make them, and a number of others.

Anyway, it's some way off. The developer has to solve his problem with the office building behind the main Blue Lion building first. He's not managed to shift the offices for over two years and is in the process of converting them to flats. The first application was turned down; the appeal is being processed.

The Blue Lion building is of architectural interest, I think. It would be a real shame if the new development went ahead.
S
Friday 30 April 2004 5.24pm
Jim -- "the Simon" is Simon the Tanner, the pub at the front of the Blue Lion building. Last I heard the landlord was planning to strenuously object to WN Developments' proposal for the building next door to his pub. (The pub is, I believe, officially part of the Bermondsey Street conservation area.)

For what it's worth, it's also an exceedingly ugly building that's being proposed by WN Developments, IMHO. It will be as high as the new building at 217 Long Lane.

Post edited (30 Apr 04 18:26)
Tuesday 4 May 2004 10.04am
Re development: looking into it.I'll post if I find out more than already said.

Cheers Jim.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions