London SE1 community website

Unused massive empty space in Empire Square Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Tuesday 12 April 2011 1.41pm
I was told the NHS bought it and it was due to be some kind of Kidney unit. Don't quote me on that.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.10pm
Seriously!! dialysis centre?!? I could not think of a worst location for something that delicate... I would think that a dialysis centre do need instead a good parking space, for patients etc.... what a weird thing to do, as Guy's are expanding their hospital on site...
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.16pm
i think that an old story (the dialysis thing)...no evidence at all of such a thing happening. the space is as empty as the day it was built. i had heard soho gyms were going to take it as it is a larger space than they have now
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.22pm
to be honest, I would see a car saloon there... big cars... I know it is not art or brain storming stuff... but the way is has been done, it is just perfect for Porche dealer or something like that.. always better than empty.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.25pm
they were given planning permission for the dialysis centre

08/AP/2632

perhaps they no longer have the money?
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.35pm
as a large space it won't work for selling (generally speaking).....it needs parking otherwise it wont work....this has been debated many times already on here but the problem is footfall...there isn't a huge number of people walking past every day (all day) so it has to be a destination space and that means people making the effort to come which means parking for a lot of possible punters for whatever it may get used for....ever seen a car dealership without on-site parking? ever seen a largish supermarket without on-site parking (except where there is a lot of footfall)...its a a waste of space at the end of the day...and SC must take some responsibility for forcing the developer to provide space that doesn't work....the only thing that will work is offices but on the ground floor with very open extremities....its been unused since building for good reasons.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.49pm
I am not sure about the second... I can pass the dealer thing but the supermarket PLEASE!!!! London have thousands of big markets with no parking space.
Yes I have seen many.. I think SC should take a look at how incredibly ugly that place is and how much people in the area need retail and let things go....

Let me ask you. How many people do have a car in the area?

Not the majority. Still we go to Tesco Old Kent road to buy... whether that has a parking space or not I do not care because I go by bus or walk....

I think SC, should really be less picky on certain things, have more fantasy and think about some major issues in the area. That place could be fractionated and so on.. what is the purpose of leaving it vacant.

And yes! Sorry, but as I lived in Edgware road for 4 years. Go and see what happened to The Fire Station next to Maida Vale canal. Car dealer for Lamborghini.

In long lane there is a huge Car park in Snowfield and other parking space around.... Come on. You cannot take a massive space empty on these grounds. I believe. Specially opposing the Supermarket option I find it completely absurd.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 2.59pm
http://www.gsttkpa.org/downloads/KPANewsletterSpring2011Issue2.pdf

sorry i can't get this to link but is going to be dialysis centre due to open end of this year
Tuesday 12 April 2011 3.10pm
There you go.... I have to buy new shoes to walk to Old Kent Road!
Tuesday 12 April 2011 3.42pm
orione...why do you think it isn't a supermarket then?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions