London SE1 community website

Unused massive empty space in Empire Square Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Wednesday 13 April 2011 9.41am
Guys,
I was thinking Edgware road and Kings Road in Hammersmith.. maybe you are right in that. I am not sure.

But as many people would need that market than you would attract them anyway.. But who knows. The thing is that we lack retail and shopping facilities, and I find that a dialysis centre is just random, there.

I am just very very surprised that nobody in the area has formed a group to help resolve this situation before.

We need to be very carefull because the number of flats is just overwhelming compared to the availability of retails and shops.. it just does not make sense and the council should think more about social stability and less about filling up the pockets. Retails means jobs and stability. We don't want empty streets, I believe this is not maida Vale where everyone is well off and push walk a fancy dog.
We need these things...
Wednesday 13 April 2011 9.46am
Is anybody informed enough to talk to Simon Hughes to make these wishes and worries heard. I really believe that this could become a social problem, if we keep building falts with no facilities around in the middle of a "once?? it was a depressed area"...
I mean I am not an expert but I do not think I am mad... If we care about the future of our area than we need to start promoting the right policy.

Any ideas.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 9.54am
it is insane the way just about every new development contains retail units on the ground floor yet they lie empty for months even years...as a resident of empire square i can say that nothing has been said to us by anyone about the kidney unit. i thought that was a rumour long ago put to rest. cant see how Guys can afford the rents anyway
Wednesday 13 April 2011 10.51am
We have a really big Tescos locally at Surrey Quays which has lots of parking and the C10 goes from Long Lane straight there in 10 minutes. Not sure another big supermarket in the area would be a good thing nor needed.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 10.55am
Dee Dee.. apart from the fact the surrey quays is somewhere else... but anyway... what is your feeling about the need of retail and shops in our area? Do you like it like that?

Because if people think is good like it is than, I am not going to fight windmills... I just keep my opinion. But I still feel it is not a socially safe policy to massify living space without facilities.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 11.12am
i think the facilities we need more of are doctors, dentists, schools etc before shops as there seems little consideration given to these when new building takes place - there always seems to be a resturant though!

in terms of shops i agree the local choice is pretty poor and would love to see a decent bakers butchers etc i just don't think we need more supermarkets-SQ is 10 mins up the road and is a Tesco's extra so i don't think it can be dismissed as another place it is very local.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 11.35am
Well I am a doctor. Do you know about the new develoPments of guys hospital on site? Is quite massive. Good Dentists maybe... schools? Is a separate issue and I am not sure what you mean for more schools.. On this website yesterday was posted an article on that issue and about the new compass free school.

You know what? If you are happy with the situation than have it.

I do not leave myself on empire sq. If residents are happy with the choice... Good luck.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 11.46am
Orione

sorry but i am just giving you my opinion and i am sure there are plenty of people that may agree with you (but hopefully not the attitude that seems to go with it) Yes there are plans for a new secondary school-PLANS-as a parent that has just been through secondary school with my son this is something needed 5 years ago not in 5 years time and is an important issue to me

i don't know about the new Guys development but i do know that i have trouble getting a doctors appointment when i need one as too many patients

I don't have trouble jumping on a bus or walking to the many supermarkets that are popping up all over the place nor booking a delivery online so to me it is not important to have another supermarket in the area so yes i will have it as you suggest
Wednesday 13 April 2011 12.15pm
Orione, do you think the council should try to offer a subsidy to a large supermarket chain? Maybe pay their rent for them? Let us know what you think?
Wednesday 13 April 2011 12.56pm
As I said and I repeat it. Supermarket was one of the options. I am talking about retails that are lacking in the area in general and that bring jobs. Although i agree with schools quality you dont make a school in the basement of a residential building, generally. It is a different issue. But hey! If you consider a dialysis centre more appropriate I am fine with it. At the end people living In the square should be directly interested, and I don't want this conversation to become sterile. I am not difficult to discuss with, I just think that if you don't put a bit of fire in what you think, then why bother. Can I say at least that people who designed that building did not care a thing about people living there? Otherwise they would have done it functional. It is always easy money we are after.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions