London SE1 community website

Unused massive empty space in Empire Square Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Wednesday 13 April 2011 1.57pm
Orione, I am sure that the owners of the space hadn't thought to offer it to other retailers before. What a great idea!

The Big Society at work...
Wednesday 13 April 2011 3.09pm
The space and design of the building of oten come down to what the developer wants to cram in and what the council will allow...in our case here (and across many buildings developed over the last few years in this area) the council has had a policy of putting office development on the lower floor(s) to try to encourage employment as well as housing. Often the developer has been happy to do this as the council have been more "generous" with what the developer is allowed to do in the development above. However, if the space is not ideal for wehtever purpose the council has earmarked it for, because they are sooooooo knowledgable about the real world of business and commercial property, then you end up with something like this...a white elephant. It is not only here but many of the live/work properties are being requested to be turned into live only spaces too. SC has a finger in too many pies to give a consistent, fair and objective planning decision on many developments these days...and needs to be brought to account for previous, current and future decisions.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 3.41pm
I am not an expert on the matter but my feeling is that urbanite is right! I mean the empire square case is a clear example.
Wednesday 13 April 2011 3.50pm
I don't mind the idea of a dialysis unit at all. However, I don't live in Empire Square.

Maybe I am just jaded and cynical, but I never expected a vibrant urban space to be built there, just a block of flats, which is exactly what happened.
Monday 24 October 2011 9.32am
Builders are inside with tools and stuff. Do you know what is going on. Is it definitely a renal unit or something else?
Tx
Monday 24 October 2011 11.26am
Does this topic entail a dscussion of the rental of a renal or retail unit?
Monday 24 October 2011 11.54am
Oddly when I went past yesterday all the windows looked like they had been graffitied but from the inside. There what what looked like a) white paint and b) cranberry juice(?) splattered all over the windows. There was also a lot of rubbish on the floor on the inside, bottles and sandwich packets etc. And a traffic cone.

So either the workmen were helping to sort that out or they had a wild party the night before they started the refit of the premises.
Monday 24 October 2011 1.20pm
marcusm wrote:
Does this topic entail a dscussion of the rental of a renal or retail unit?

I think somebody previously mentioned that it was going to be a dialysis centre..
Monday 31 October 2011 9.07am
I hope I wad a victim of a joke. But I the builders on site told
Me
Is going to be a lap top club!!

I thought they meant a place for computers
But they told me: no mate women dancing on tables!

James do you have any news on this! I am personally quite shocked. With all the things we need here.. A gentlemen nightclub?
Monday 31 October 2011 1.20pm
Orione

it is going to be a kidney unit opening next year

I could just imagine the outcry if they did try and open a lap dancing club there!!!!!!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions