London SE1 community website

Free school meals for all pupils in Southwark despite cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 10 July 2012 4.13pm
Further to Dee Dee's point, providing free meals to all pupils avoids stigmatising those who need them.

Kids Company put out a report last week that pointed out that many children don't take up the free meals that they need because of this stigmatisation.

Graham - thanks for the link. Land Value taxation makes a lot of sense for many reasons but I hadn't known its historical context.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 4.23pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Further to Dee Dee's point, providing free meals to all pupils avoids stigmatising those who need them.
Kids Company put out a report last week that pointed out that many children don't take up the free meals that they need because of this stigmatisation.

Graham - thanks for the link. Land Value taxation makes a lot of sense for many reasons but I hadn't known its historical context.

I do not know the full ins and outs of this, but I have to pay for my childs meals to the (primary) school office. How therefore, would anybody know that a child is receiving free meals or not apart from the school office. As I say, I don't know if this is the case across thwe board so I would be interested to find out how a primary school child would be stigmatised, as I was under the impression that none of the other children would know anyway.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 5.05pm
I'm not sure about the details - it's a very long time since I was last in a school - and I'm sure that different schools organise things differently, but someone was talking on Radio 4 about one school where there were separate queues (sorry about the lack of references and specifics).
Tuesday 10 July 2012 5.58pm
Asda is selling a kilo of porridge oats for 75p, so few people are skipping breakfast because of the cost of a hot bowl of porridge. (5-10p a portion)
Tuesday 10 July 2012 6.05pm
Phil,
you might conclude wealth taxation is kept off the agenda by vested interests.
A tax on land value makes perfect sense, unless you happen to own land, in which case you might rather your staff pay for the upkeep of the society which keeps you safe, and maintains your interests. (whoops there I go...)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions