London SE1 community website

Disappointment about the Britannia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 21 April 2011 9.29am
Philpotts24 wrote:
One of the staff must have been Duty Manager/Supervisor and therefore should have acted responsibly.
Has anyone spoken to the new manager, since this event? Not only about the noisy customer but the unwillingness of the staff to intervene.

I was there too, and made the management aware of this thread as well as the fact that Simon the Tanner was pretty busy. I wasn't going to ask what they were planning to do about it, but at least they know who it is, and I was given the impression something will be done. Fingers crossed.
Thursday 28 April 2011 9.34am
I think too many people are posting radical judgements out of one off experience, it looks a bit suspicious... lets say.

The Britannia pub is one of the most decent and quite pubs to enjoy some beers and food with people who actually can handle drinking without getting foolish..It is a lovely spot.

I have seen the new Simon the Tunner.. is blunt. Boring decoration, without character. Like come in and drink! Who cares..And I passed by days ago and a band with electirc guitar was playing amongst the screaming customers... Well, not the quitest as someone suggest...

I have never seen anything as bad as you describe and I am sure the new management would understand a complaint if well addressed.
I met the guys, they are all reasonable. These guys have just started and they are not doing bad. Food is good and they are friendly.
People who care about the pub should show this post to them and make sure they understand what happened that night.
The fact that a pub is full of customers does not mean that is a better one. We should all know this...
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.22am
orione wrote:
I think too many people are posting radical judgements out of one off experience, it looks a bit suspicious... lets say....
Unfortunately, orione, you're completely wrong here.

The people who've posted on this thread have been staunch supporters of The Brit over several years (you can check their posts on this forum for evidence).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.36am
Thanks for pointing out this..

I do not say they are not supportes or what else.

I am saying that the examples being reported (Simon the Tanner.. etc..) are a bit strange, as I find that pub very blunt (nothing characteristic) and music is played very loud...

I always had good experinces there.

But I think people living in the area should engage more with the new management and trying to help them taking good decisions. Nothing different.

Have you spoke about this? Why not showing this link?

I met the chef and that guy really puts lot of effort to make good food, and make it better.

I believe they have margin to get better.
That pub is still good and a lovely sunny spot, if the weather is nice to us all....of course!
Thursday 28 April 2011 12.16pm
orione wrote:
I am saying that the examples being reported (Simon the Tanner.. etc..) are a bit strange, as I find that pub very blunt (nothing characteristic) and music is played very loud...
But I think people living in the area should engage more with the new management and trying to help them taking good decisions. Nothing different.
Have you spoke about this?

What exactly is strange about saying that other places were busy that evening? The people who started their evening at the Britannia (because all of us have previously supported the place and had pleasant experiences there) chose to move to Simon the Tanner (first time there in my case) because the atmosphere at the Brit was not their liking thanks to one arrogant customer. However, S the T was too cramped for me to enjoy, and I didn't stay long, I walked home past the Old School Yard (again not to my personal taste) and that was also busy - in stark contrast to the Brit. There is nothing sinister in my commenting here that those places were full of customers while the Brit was almost empty!

If you care to read the earlier posts carefully, you'll also see that comments were made to the 'management' that night, (who were completely disinterested), and that comments have also been passed on to the owner of the Britannia.
Thursday 28 April 2011 12.50pm
orione wrote:
I think too many people are posting radical judgements out of one off experience, it looks a bit suspicious... lets say.

Orione, I often find your posts pretty odd, but this takes the biscuit. I don't see what is suspicious about a lot of posters, all regular users of the forum, all sharing the same experience of poor service.

If they were only recently joined new members, then maybe I'd see a conspiracy... but not here.
Thursday 28 April 2011 12.57pm
That is what I meant.

As the place is changing management, they are still getting the measures right. I have never experienced anything like this otherwise I would have said something to the manager directly.

The reason why I like that pub is that it is not too busy in fact and it has an atmosphere of a gastropub more than a plain drinking pub. As I said I don't think that than a busy pub makes a good pub.
Thursday 28 April 2011 1.12pm
:)I am happy to see that you follow my posts.. Thanks.

Any suggestions how to improve them or specific reference to any of those odd comments?

Although, I still think that the Britannia is one of the most decent pubs I have seen around.
Thursday 28 April 2011 1.19pm
orione wrote:
That is what I meant.
As the place is changing management, they are still getting the measures right.

Eh? What measures? They did not appear to be making many efforts in that direction.

As I understand it, the 'management' has changed twice recently, and the cook who took over a few months ago has departed. Her efforts were very good, but for some reason she didn't last. I haven't tried the food recently.

orione wrote:
As I said I don't think that than a busy pub makes a good pub.

I suspect the pub management may disagree! A pub needs a steady level of core customers for income, atmosphere and to make it seem an attractive venue, and if it doesn't get busier than only 3 or 4 who last the evening, it won't be opening on Saturdays for much longer.
Thursday 28 April 2011 1.42pm
Oh my God!! Calm down....

I think you are out of target massively!

The few things you just said would deserve lot of time to get a good reply.. Some pubs are busy just because they serve cheap beers... to people who wants cheap beers... or they are luckly located.

This pub has been taking a different view for years. This new Cook is good and as I said I have seen him rushing from the kicthcen to the table to serve the customers, himself with his with chef hat. Is fun. The owner owns 15 pubs acroos London but loves the little Britannia.

Anyway, enough of this thread.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions