London SE1 community website

Disappointment about the Britannia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 28 April 2011 2.41pm
I dont think he owns 15 pubs.. 6-7 is about right
Thursday 28 April 2011 5.31pm
Enough of Orione in my view. What and who is she defending and why is no one's opinion other than her own unreasonable? Fact is, the Brittania has lost a lot of its charm of late. As I said, I hate the new decorations, and that glaring light and large TV in the corner we used to use for Book Club. I'm truly sorry the old landlords left, they were nice and helpful...and anyone who owns several other pubs is a no-no, it immediately becomes a sausage machine,.
Thursday 28 April 2011 9.36pm
Take it easy Jackie.. Is not good for blood circulation... I was there even tonight and it was very good.. Lots of people having fun... No one really hooked at the TV.. Nice time.. Have fun in any pub you wish, but take it easy.. If you like any other pub decoration?!?!? Enjoy. I still believe that these kind of local pubs need to be supported positively.. NowcAs we drink in different pubs we will never met.. Which I consider probably a good thing after your outburst.
Jac
Thursday 28 April 2011 10.40pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
...and anyone who owns several other pubs is a no-no, it immediately becomes a sausage machine,.

Jackie the owner hasn't changed, just the management so thats nonsense. I just hope the owner gets it back on track soon.
Friday 29 April 2011 3.22am
Hi all,
allow me to firstly introduce myself as the new permenant manager of the Britannia, although I was not part of the team when this incident happened, but I have been made aware of it, and have dealt with it, so now consider the matter closed.

I would appreciate over the next few weeks that you drop by even to say hello, and that we get to know each other, and please do not hesitate to offer critisism where you think improvements can be made.

In the meantime, we will move to improve our service to you, we will be open every weekend with food served every day, free wifi will be available soon, and we are taking delivery of an additional 40 single malts, with a free tasting evening next wednesday.
Gerry
Friday 29 April 2011 7.07am
the Brit has always been a favourite of mine especially as it is so close to home and served some decent food. on the other hand the recent refurb has not done the place any favours. in particular the glaring lights are awful ...cant comment on the effect of the TV but apart from major sport, a royal wedding and the eurovision song contest (!) i cant see the point of TV in pubs. Jackie is right the old management were lovely and very accomodating. for a good example of how a pub can be refurbished well and maintain or even increase its customer base check out The Goldsmith on Southwark Bridge Road.
Jac
Friday 29 April 2011 8.56am
Gerry Welcome. Cant wait for you to get the Britannia back to its old welcoming self. I am sure the se1book clubbers will enjoy participating in the tasting next wednesday as they meet on the first wednesday of the month. (i assume they will still be welcome.

Britannia has been a fav pub with many of us including the posters on this thread. It wasnt an isolated incident as I have cut short a couple of visits this year due to that plonker, (cant stand music played through poor quailty speakers) although I wasnt there at this particular occasion, but i think what prompted the post in the first place was such disappointment that our fav pub seemed to be going down hill and we didnt seem to be able to do anything about it. Apart from anything else it seemed to be different staff every time we went and no longer felt like our local

Anyway as the pub has so much going for it and I am sure with your decent leadership it will soon return to our drinking hole of choice. I can not make book club this week but will pop in again soon and say hello.
Friday 29 April 2011 12.14pm
Welcome, Gerry, and thanks for posting here. Matter of Mr 'music' closed indeed. As sometimes happens, threads can wander off-topic when comments are mis-interpreted or just not read before others wade in. I look forward to further visits to the Brit and I suspect you'll get quite a few customers for the tasting (based on the level of interest in your range of whiskeys among other SE1ers I know - it's a good usp). In very difficult times for the pub business I hope the Brit prospers.
Friday 29 April 2011 12.52pm
just dim those lights!
Friday 29 April 2011 2.39pm
I was in there on Monday and agree about the lighting, tone them down a wee. Mind you I have this bug-bear with a lot of pubs, not everyone is drug dealing and passing off dodgy copies of Green Lantern.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions