London SE1 community website

Disappointment about the Britannia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Monday 16 January 2012 9.44am
Does anyone know what is happening with the Brittania these days?

6 Months ago the food rivaled the Woolpack in terms of quality, it was the go-to place for a quieter high quality roast.

With this in mind I took some friends yesterday, and embarrassingly received the worst roast dinners I've ever seen come from a pub kitchen.

I'm by no stretch a food snob, but we had to ask for two of the three meals to be replaced with something completely different as the food was so poor. The barman was very courteous, and clearly quite embarrassed about it, and the replacements (burger and sausage & mash) were slightly better but nothing near the quality I've experienced there in the past.

It's a real shame as the brittania is a great pub but none of our group would eat there again based on the food we were served yesterday.

On a more positive note they have been open until 1am on a fri & sat recently, which is a good replacement for the sorely missed Rose when in need of a very late pint.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 9.38pm
Hi, In regards to your complaint of the roasts on Sunday, I do remember your group very well, and very sorry for your experience, I know you's remained extremely pleasant throughout. I am very sorry you felt the quality was poor and wish you had of said something when I changed the meals for you, as your complaint at the time was not of the quality but that the chef had served you the wrong meat giving you beef rather than lamb. I would like to take the opportunity to make you aware that I had a temporary chef in the kitchen while my main chef was on 3 weeks leave. I do apologise that the roasts weren't to the usual quality that Ollie produces who is the chef that would have cooked for you 6 months ago. However the temp chef I did have did get quite alot of positive feedback during his time here, so I'm not sure what he did wrong with the roasts that day(apart from serve the wrong meat). I do hope that this experience won't stop you coming again, as I have alot of confidence in our Sunday roast when my main chef is present.
Once again I would just like to finish with my deepest apologies, and to say that I do hope to see you again.
Thursday 19 January 2012 9.30am
Hi -

Thanks for the response, it's good to see the Brittania represented on the forum.

Indeed I hadn't mentioned in my post about the orders being wrong too, as I know I know mistakes happen. Although at the time I'd hoped that us asking for completely different dishes was enough to indicate our disappointment with the quality, but maybe we were being too subtle. I'm more than happy to PM you further details if you wish.

I'm very pleased to hear it is just a temporary chef, so I will certainly be returning back for Ollies roasts in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the reply!
Thursday 19 January 2012 9.30pm
Hello everybody and happy new year. Hi Leigh. Good luck with the Britannia.
I am very puzzled and saddened to see that the Britannia is losing customers. During the last two weeks or so it hasn't been busy as usual.
Or is just my impression? Is a great pub, and beautiful as well. One of the few small left in the area.
Compared to others it is hidden so it's business is more fragile.
Hopefully it will attract again the customers it deserves.
Any suggestions from the community about what is going on and how could they reverse the situation?
Wishes to all
Thursday 19 January 2012 11.33pm
orione wrote:
I am very puzzled and saddened to see that the Britannia is losing customers. During the last two weeks or so it hasn't been busy as usual.

Er, it's January? Some people choose this as a detox month, others having spent a lot at Christmas just don't have the money till payday. No further drama needed I'd say.
Thursday 19 January 2012 11.46pm
Maybe you are right. Hopefully.
Friday 20 January 2012 12.57am
Hi Orione,

Thanks for your concern, but Boroman is right, although i'm quiet I'm actually busier than I expected to be this month.

These new years resolutions and maxed out credit cards hit the bar trade quite badly in January and even some of February some years. hopefully will be back to normal soon.

Should be a good week next week with our Burns night meals as well as the Australia day quiz. Hopefully will see you there then..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions