London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 37 of 40
Friday 17 June 2011 12.56pm
I see there is from a traders perspective a truer version of events in the comment column of the Guardian yesterday,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/16/borough-market-evictions-future
Happyfeet's recent comments lead me to conclude that you are well tuned to BMM way of thinking,perhaps another guise of Ceri ?
Friday 17 June 2011 1.02pm
Borough Market has been a wonderful place.

I enjoyed it very much ten years ago, grubby and gritty, with the chance -- just the chance -- of, across a produce barrow, seeing Bill Sikes' back disappearing down one of the alleyways.

But with chorizo and Stichelton coming in, Bill and his sort have scuttled out.

And hand up: My fault, that. Because I do like a bit of Stichelton with my chorizo, or a fresh 'n' buttery croissant aux amandes with my latte.

Nothing lasts forever, eh?
Friday 17 June 2011 1.15pm
@ ano trader

I think it is shocking how a big news paper like the Guardian gave such a huge space to a single trader without having a reply from Borough Market.

We read many times what Mr Coyte thinks.

I could think in the same way that you are simply doing publicity to Maltby street by promoting this on and on.. like an hammer.

This is again Mr Coyte vision that we should take like "the truth".

The same George Nicholson who seemed to be the man who knew all.. ended up by posting a soup of things that were untruthful offensive and contradicted himself.

I would wish and I think I am not saying anything different from James's post, that this space could be used to talk about solutions or proposals, not by traders or single persons who wish to demolish Borough Market in favour of Maltby street.

There is the court to resolve these things.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.29pm
I am loath to write this given James recent comment but I do believe that Orione/Happyfeet/Whomever works for Borough Market.

You seem very much clued up about the market future strategy for someone who pretend to just to be a regular shopper. Your insistence on drinking and regurgitating the corporate kool-aid in extenso is also highly suspicious. Who are you, really?

I think this could be just a big attempt at astroturfing... and not a clever one at that which I find personally insulting.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.41pm
I have no reason to believe that orione is engaged in astroturfing on behalf of the market. If anyone has evidence to the contrary they are welcome to contact me directly. Otherwise let's not be diverted by finger-pointing.

By the same token - orione: you continue to tell people that they shouldn't post things that don't accord with your view of the market.

Some of us are interested in hearing the whole range of views from past/present traders and shoppers alike. Kindly allow others to have their say without suggesting they are not entitled to share their views or should keep quiet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.42pm
orione wrote:
@ ano trader
I think it is shocking how a big news paper like the Guardian gave such a huge space to a single trader without having a reply from Borough Market.

There have been several articles, at least one in the Granuidid, interviewing Wilkinson.

You are in the minority of one (or is it two or three?) in believing BM didn't act hastily and inappropriately sacking these traders. They have done nothing wrong.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.43pm
Thank you for posting this Tabularasa.

I spoke to Glenis Reagon who kindly hosted me in the Borough Market offices and nicely explained me her vison.

She also showed me some plans and said that they would be made public in the next few months, after the TFL issue is more defined.
I liked her and the way she believes in what she does.

I also found her a very sensible and rational person.
I had a good feeling while talking to her.

Happy feet is my girlfriend's account and she exists.

But thank you Tabularasa for your post.

Thank you James also for your thoughts. I understand.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.47pm
I stand corrected. Thank you James and orione, please accept my apologies.
Friday 17 June 2011 2.28pm
37 pages of posts mainly opposing the current BM board and therefore probably expressing what most SE1ers think and feel, and on this same forum the interview with the BM chairman, who is given the opportunity to react to some of the concerns and outline his own vision. I think this is no more than fair. Whether I believe Mr Wilkinson or agree with him is a different matter, but this is far more constructive than the contributions of some of the pro-BM posters which only went to rouse suspicion as to their identity and their motives, which seemed to add insult to injury. I am quite pleased that this topic is considered important enough to be covered in the national press, and I therefore hope something positive comes of it. Personally I don't know whether I will shop at BM again, I think I'll have to reflect on that and see how things develop.
Friday 17 June 2011 2.48pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
but this is far more constructive than the contributions of some of the pro-BM posters which only went to rouse suspicion as to their identity and their motives, which seemed to add insult to injury.

Maybe, people who think differently (even in minority) should not rise suspects.
Excluded during dictatorships, which we are not under.

I think that the plan the B Market has in place is good and takes the community into consideration. The use of the glass space next to the railroad, for example. I think we should wait and see what they do out of it.

One thing is sure, if we boycott the Market while waiting they won't do anything good out of it, because we send bankrupt the traders still in there.
Current: 37 of 40

This thread has been closed
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions