London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 38 of 40
Friday 17 June 2011 3.04pm
Over and out.
Friday 17 June 2011 4.55pm
Years ago I sat on a board whose chairman occasionally responded to a briefing with the comment 'I feel better informed but none the wiser.' That's just how I feel now, having I've read everything that's been posted here since last I posted myself.

One thing I sense, though, now James' article has been seen, is an inclination among more moderate posters to feel it's only fair to give BM's management the benefit of the doubt while we wait to see what the implementation of its big new plan might mean. And, while I'm all for moderation and fair play, I don't think that Ceri's original contribution to this forum has been mitigated by what's subsequently been said by his employers. I don't mean to attack him as an individual. But I still believe that both the fact that he's employed there, and the tone and content of what he posted, are clear indications of the presence of an arrogant, injudicious management which is either out of touch with the local community or dismissive of its concerns.

If it looks like and duck, and walks like a duck ...
Bea
Friday 17 June 2011 5.39pm
This thread started when a number of traders were evicted from BM.

Many interesting facts have emerged regarding the people on the BM board, how they are elected, their 'charity' status, where they live, their business interests - all this from people who have in depth knowledge of this subject.

We have also heard from the traders themselves as well as representatives of BM and their supporters.

This is a good thread and represents all views which is one of the strengths of this site.

I myself was a long time early morning BM shopper but am no longer as the whole ethos of the place and how it is run is not something I wish to support. I am sure my actions are not going to bring down BM and I have no intention of trying to persuade others to stop going there. We all have to act according to our conscience and some things are more important to me than my stomach.

However I am becoming rather disturbed by the actions of BM management members / supporters who would like nothing more than for this thread to close.
Why do they think Mr Coyle does not have the right to speak in The Guardian ? Maybe for the same reason the market traders are not allowed to express their views for fear of using their pitches. BM management do not appear to believe in free speech - remember the traders are not complaining about the market but about the management.

So please people do not let them do this.
Friday 17 June 2011 6.03pm
Bea, I think the most aggressive posters at the moment are those who are against Borough Market.

Nobody said Mr Coyte doesn't have the right to talk. I have the impression that the Guardian was not fair in presenting it. And the title you can read it... My opinion.

Anyway, since the evicted ones are trading on Maltby street, it looks like we are losing options if we keep talking on and on, and ONLY about this, without thinking of what is happening now: Two markets that hopefully will survive both independently.

What do we want to reach as a community?

If, by absurd, all the traders would move to Maltby street, and Borough Market would shout down.. would that be good for you? I would not like that.

120 honest traders still at Borough Market and depending on us.

I think we should act with more Balance in the meanwhile.

For example you can continue searching for legal ways to evict the management, as you say you are interested in that.

I instead, will go tomorrow morning to both Maltby street and Borough Market like I am doing since a couple of months and try to distributed my shopping, without taking radical position versus traders.

Actually yesterday a trader put himself forward and said he would speak out his opinion. Let me find his name. That will be interesting..

Philip Crouch! There it is.

I am for example more interested in this moment to hear his post, than having another go from Mr Nicholson telling us how many children Miss X has with whom, and where she is growing them..

Personal opinion.
Friday 17 June 2011 6.25pm
I'd be interested to hear from any of those made redundant. I feel so sorry for them. As has been proven there is no consistency or logic to the choice of evictions so most of the current traders must be under such stress. Are they all supposed to be bright and cheery when BM reveal their plans?
Friday 17 June 2011 6.36pm
According to your post Beetroot, and the logic behind your post, the traders in danger at the moment and to be sorry for are those still inside the den of Borough Market..

The evicted ones, I think, are trading in the better Market of Maltby street... and according to statistics they are doing well. More customers fleeing BM and better working environment. But it would be good to know from them how the Market is doing.

So that is why, we should try to understand what the ones who stayed (like P Crouch) think and want.. And support them as honest traders as the others.

Is it not inside the logic of your thoughts?

I am having a lazy Friday... lot of posts.. :)
Friday 17 June 2011 6.45pm
I think the debate might flow a bit better if you didn't reply to *every* post, orione :)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 June 2011 6.50pm
For me it's simple, I have money, I need food and I have the choice to spend that money where I please. I would rather support Maltby Street than Borough Market. Which is a shame but that's principals for you. No one likes a bully, it is however sad that those retailers who remain at Borough market might not enjoy the custom of people who take the same perspective as me.
Friday 17 June 2011 7.20pm
In the Guardian article linked by jlrowe on the top of page 31 of this thread Joe Tager, a director of Flour Power says they had to make four people redundant because of the eviction. They can't be the only ones. I find it hard to imagine that Kappacasein is able to keep the number of staff he had. These are the people I feel sorry for, and those still at BM that fear losing their job if the trader they work for is evicted too. Having been unemployed in the past myself I know how shocking it can be.
Friday 17 June 2011 7.57pm
James Hatts wrote:
I think the debate might flow a bit better if you didn't reply to *every* post, orione :)

It is the rain outside.

But since I am one of the few here, not the only one, who wish a moderate solution (at the moment) it seems like my posts are always dissected in bits and exposed. Than I feel I have to reply. Restrain is the new word..

Can I ask you, James, a question out of context? Do you check every post real time day and night? It is something that puzzles me and amazes at the same time.. In that case I will dilute them for your sake... :)
Current: 38 of 40

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions