London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 40
Wednesday 11 May 2011 10.47am
"bit like an upmarket airport terminal" - now that's what I call hitting the nail on the head...
Wednesday 11 May 2011 12.16pm
Well first of all orione, good on you for going to see her it's all credit to you that you feel that strongly.

The problem is we've heard lots of reassurances over the last few years and they have all come to nothing. Traders do want to earn money obviously but they also want to protect what they see as an important figurehead for the food "industry". It is clear that - to use corporate parlance - we are not all singing off the same song sheet. Glennis and Peter wilkinson have no experience of food retail, production or much of an interest. If I were to trust somebody to run HS2 or crossrail we've got our man. At borough there are a disparate bunch of traders who are all individual businesses with egos, fears, aspirations and a living to make. What sticks in the craw is being told what you may not do more often than what you may with no alternative offered. I would rather not be sat here withering on about all this BS I'd much rather feel like I used to feel that where I work actually stood for something and that it was a success and all the better for it because it stood for something.

What I think traders want is a meaningful relationship with g & p, infact I think they'd rather not see each other as separate entities, but we are not being offered this. In her letter she pleaded with us to come and talk to her. Why? Look what happens if you disagree with her. You get the boot. Ask the old market manager about that one when he had his job pulled out from underneath him and his home which are now more offices. Not that she would agree with any of this but you know what I gave her more than the benefitof the doubt when she took over but she is, and I choose my words very carefully, economical with the truth as she perceives it to be.

From what I have read over the last few days I'm afraid Borough Market as we all knew it is gone. What happens now is anyone's guess.

FYI though the new glass fronted building looking out on to the post office is not allowed to be food orientated due to a clause in the network rail contract. At least, that's what we've been told. Also the revamped market underneath the new viaduct is now reserved for primary producers..........again this is as much as we know it could alter.

I really hope this resolves well but frankly I just can't see it under the present conditions.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 1.19pm
I think from now on it will be up to them resolving public relation issues and to inform the population and traders on many levels, there would be too many topic to go through, I think.. As I said in my opinion that space (the whole BM) is modifying so rapidly that is very difficult to predict all solutions untill you do see the final outcome of the railroad being finished.. Thameslink have the priority on many of the final decisions, in terms of structural development, solutions, and alterations.... And these will affect as you pointed the array of possibilities at hand. For example, by looking from inside the offices, that bridge is simPly too low to fit the whole Victorian roof back In place.. NO way.

I have a question. Why restaurants and their managers (as I have seen them ) shop (and sell as well...) at maltby st while they make money at borough Market?

I have the feeling that you guys as well need to be more clear one to another. Hot food policy have given so much freedom and revenue to some of you and left others with fresh air.. And this policy as I remember has been developded by traders themselves.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 1.26pm
I'd be interested to know what the new rent for no.1 Stoney Street is.It was home to The Tasting room Paninis,Parma ham and Italian cheese.At the moment it is being fitted out by a new tenant.

I have no objection to all this hot food,in the way that I don't object to any street food that I have abroad.In fact I remember when I moved here fifteen years ago Baxters was a fruitier wholesaler,now they do nothing but sell burgers,a question of adapting to survive and make money.Plenty of these traders sell at other markets,the olives in the buckets being a prime example.

At heart I think this an action of spite "trade at maltby and your out."

We also have two prime sights empty,The old Fusebox shop which is only now being fitted out by Elliots,that is over 25 months standing empty.Borough management would do well to stipulate that any new tenant is able to refit within 3-6 months or not take on a lease.We also have the former Shipps electrican/tearoom latterly the train wreck best Italian standing empty at 4 Park street.

The borough market website also needs updating as E.A Sugarman are still listed as a wholesaler and I'm pretty sure they have gone.

Also whatever happened to the proposed cookery school/education centre at no.1 Cathedral street,long overdue,been standing empty for must be 6 years save for the Banana store in the basement.When I came here the building was thriving with design groups/kids modeling agency,all paying rent.You would have thought In light of Jamie Olivers school dinners success the two million pound funding should have been found instantly.When/if that project is green lighted the queue will be all the way around the block.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 1.36pm
What I understood is that the new space run ng am was talking about should host some of those activities... As high glass windows do nOt go with fresh veggies..

Anyway. I have finished my opinions in regards.

I would just hope to hear more traders and managers opinions..
Wednesday 11 May 2011 2.47pm
63,000 per year is the asking for the old tea room with a deposit of 6-12 months rent depending on which way the wind blows.

I believe elliots was raised to 70,000 at the last minute.

Worth it?

If anyone thinks borough is a cash cow think again. The reason people have moved elsewhere is because they need to make up the revenue that's been lost over the last few years. Maltby St is a different issue as it is as much about the original vision for selling food as it is about money. It is only a threat if you allow it to threaten you. Expelling people simply strengthens it's hands. Aahh such strong leadership!!!!
Wednesday 11 May 2011 5.11pm
Life is always more complicated than one thinks, and management - expecialy during a period of change - isn't easy. Having said that, and however 'passionate' the CEO may be about the market, the press releases issued in her name seem to me to be a combination of emotive, aggressive and manipulative. And ill-judged. This, combined with no response to what's so far a ten-page thread on a well-established community website that's increasingly expressing a consensus that someone at BM should communicate with us, suggests that their PR money hasn't been well-spent.

And the idea of market traders' leases including requirements not to give negative reports of BM is just lawer-led, corporate-think silliness. Which suggests to me that the management style is simply inappropriate for the business concerned. But that's hardly surprising if the CEO hasn't got experience in the sector.

Personally, I've been saddened and infuriated ever since BM started to refer to its 'brand'.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 6.34pm
I'm really confused.The market management talks about a decline in standards over the past decade, yet on their website says,
"Since its renaissance as a retail market just over a decade ago, it has become a haven for anybody who cares about the quality and provenance of the food they eat - chefs, restaurateurs, passionate amateur cooks and people who just happen to love eating and drinking"
So, it's become a foodie haven over the past decade, yet has been in decline over the same time period.
Who does their P.R,Benny from "Crossroads"?
Wednesday 11 May 2011 8.51pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I'm really confused.The market management talks about a decline in standards over the past decade, yet on their website says,
"Since its renaissance as a retail market just over a decade ago, it has become a haven for anybody who cares about the quality and provenance of the food they eat - chefs, restaurateurs, passionate amateur cooks and people who just happen to love eating and drinking"
So, it's become a foodie haven over the past decade, yet has been in decline over the same time period.
Who does their P.R,Benny from "Crossroads"?

What do you expect them to say on their website?

"Don't come, its full of tourists taking photos, hugely overpriced, and we've sacked some of your favourite stalls" ?

Bizarre first post.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 10.13pm
SE1 Lurker, I shall rephrase and make the 100th post at the same time (yippeee!)
I've come to the borough market since 2001,and I certainly got no sense of a market in decline during the following years,until around 2008/9(which coincidentally is around the same time the current management appeared).Therefore I don't buy the "decade of decline" schtick churned out by the management. It would appear to be a somewhat ill-disguised attempt to pin the blame for the current shenanigans on the previous management teams and trustees. Rather sad.
Current: 10 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions