London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 40
Thursday 12 May 2011 7.06am
"With the people of Southwark calling for regime change at BM, NATO forces have been placed on alert whilst someone draws a nice little picture of the compound. Meanwhile, asked to comment, the chemist across the road spoke of their shock to discover they have been living in their midst all this time.

Btw - I was more concerned that Benny and Crossroads were still going! Had to google that.
Thursday 12 May 2011 8.44am
As one of the stalls asked to leave the market last week, it is good to read the supportive comments of customers and fellow traders on this forum.

We will be trading at 59 Stanworth Street every Saturday from 9am-2pm. Hope to see you soon.

Mons Cheese.
Thursday 12 May 2011 9.20am
Good luck to all those traders on the recieving end.

Might be worth trying your luck at the Southbank market now that it is a weekly event.

http://www.realfoodfestival.co.uk/markets
Thursday 12 May 2011 10.44am
Like Monscheese says, It is heartening to hear support for the evicted traders. We are also personally effected and are gradually dealing with what is essentially a betrayal. My partner has been a trader for nine years, worked as a traders rep, traded at a loss in order to establish the Market on Thursdays and has been a source of great produce and conversation all these years.

It does not take a genius to work out, on scanning PW's Cv, that he is serving the interests of Network Rail or some other transport 'stakeholder'. The offences the evicted traders have purportedly committed have not been substantiated to the satisfaction of individuals and there are therefore CLEARLY other interests at play. PW, you may lie about this but it is plain as day to me.

Orione, you are either naive to be accepting such non-specific drivel, or you are actually pretending to be an interested local - are you in fact Glynis Reagon?

This is probably part of the machinations of a land grab. I cannot think why else BM remove key traders and attempt to undermine the financial viability of other key businesses (Wyndham House and Brindisa). They should be investigated by the Charity Commission.
Thursday 12 May 2011 11.18am
FYI I can confirm that Orione is NOT Glynis and is an interested local! Although he is a lot more trusting and less cynical about what BM say than i am..

Incidentally having not had any response from BM over this I have written to Southwark MP Simon Hughes highlighting this thread and also their complete lack of willingness to engage with the local community.

I would urge others to do so.. Will only take a second, even if you just say 'please look at this thread as it is something that is obviously of great interest to the Southwark community'.

His email is:

Simon Hughes MP <[email protected]>

You will need to include your full name, postal address and phone number for it to be accepted as you need to be a constituent for him to act on it.

The more people who do this the more he will realise that it is worth his time acting on it!

THANKS!
Thursday 12 May 2011 11.21am
For what it's worth, I have made a suggestion to the market about a possible way of engaging with some of the issues raised in this thread. The suggestion was positively received, so watch this space.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 May 2011 11.31am
My thoughts exactly traderssweetheart. I think the charities commission is the last chance saloon to prevent PW and GR destroying. Particularly as we arrive this morning to find flower power city have been told they have they have too much space??? But don't worry folks they've been invited to pitch for the 63,000 per year shop. Still trust them?
Thursday 12 May 2011 12.00pm
Good to hear that James' suggestion was positively received. But interesting that it took an approach from him to get things rolling (possibly), even though BM was already aware of what's being said here.

I hope that - however it's happened - more willingness to listen to the community will ensue. (Which is not necessarily the same thing as 'involving' us.)

And perhaps SE1-ers' postings here, and letters to Simon Hughes, BM trustees, and/or the Charities Commission, will serve to remind BM management of the market's status, both in terms of its remit and its place in the community.
Thursday 12 May 2011 12.51pm
Have sent an email to Simon Hughes - whatever is going on, sounds like a little MP-level encouragement towards the market's management to develop a more transparent operation and to focus on their charitable purpose and the local community in a genuine manner might be called for.
Thursday 12 May 2011 1.17pm
Well done Enbee. Simon gets thousands of emails a week, try emailing (not cc'ing) your local councillor Lib Dems too - get a movement going!
Current: 11 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions