London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 40
Sunday 8 May 2011 11.22am
With all due respect to Orione's post, I am not entirely sure what this has to do with the original post. We are talking about a group of individuals (who sell excellent produce)who appear to have been removed from the BM solely for the reason that they trade at another market. It has nothing to do with take-away food. BM have once again shot themselves in the foot.
Sunday 8 May 2011 11.48am
They think they can get away with it. I have increasingly been avoiding BM, restricted myself to the occasional oyster, cider and sometimes fresh fish, but am now considering a personal boycott altogether...
Sunday 8 May 2011 1.39pm
Hi Stewie,
I don't know all the details of what it means to have one foot in two markets which deal at the same time of the day half a mile away from eachother, but I believe it is not an easy task to deal with that Market at the moment specially with works underway... and all the world developing around. I personally would like to hear all bells.

I hope it becomes more and more wholesale and less and less panini...

What I know is that BM was given that land to provide good food to the people of the Borough. That I think was the statement of the deal. So they should take a bold decision and go for the high pitch. Forget take away food and be the best at providing good food.

I will still go there for what I like, avoiding the things I hate carefully.
Sunday 8 May 2011 1.49pm
But I yes sorry Stewie.

I agree with you that the eviction should be the last shore.

I don't know what was before that decision but yes, it seems quite a dictatorial way.

Is there any group of people who is raising issues from the people and formulating them into proposals to deliver them to the BM?

I think we would all benefit for a good BM around.
Sunday 8 May 2011 1.53pm
Here's what Boroman wrote on a different topic:

'I went to an interesting public meeting at the Bankside forum the other month at which the chairman of the market trustees was frank in admitting that it had lost its way and become a bit samey and touristy. The aim now is to provide a wider and more competitive range of produce that people want to buy and take home to use, not just snack at and photograph before moving on to the next attraction.

In that light there are going to be some particular stallholders they're less keen on than others. And I guess no one has the life right to a pitch.'

Guess this relates to yesterday's happenings.
Sunday 8 May 2011 2.01pm
I used to go to BM every Saturday (for more than 6 years), but got sick of being unable to reach the food due to the wannabe photographers taking pictures of apples and sausages. I've been twice since xmas, thanks to the excellent producers at Maltby street and Bermondsey Square.

The actions of this petty, small-minded band of trustees is pathetic. Maybe Maltby street will become everything BM should have been...
Sunday 8 May 2011 2.08pm
Who are the trustees exactly? Can we ask them to explain their position?
Sunday 8 May 2011 2.44pm
Hi Tolstoy I contacted the management few weeks ago because I wanted to know more about this issues and they gave me an appointment for the 10th of May to talk to the managing director. If you or anybody else in this thread want to form a group to establish a dialogue between residents and BM let me know and we will go ahead. Many people are very keen.
Sunday 8 May 2011 3.31pm
I've been closely following the movements at Borough. Been in the area over 10 years and been going there for as long, when it was about 3 stalls and ginger hair dude making the chorizo where Roast's take out bit now is.

Stopped going about a year ago once Booths got kicked out as it had frankly become a joke to locals. Wrote to BM management twice - never got a reply, which is frankly pretty disgusting behaviour for a charity, which in it's remit is 'for the benefit of the local community'. So sent that elsewhere and ending up getting lead letter in the Evening Standard and appearing on the BBC local news which i think may have helped lead to the rather fun 5 vouchers to show they were making a bit of an effort with us locals. A nice idea but one that stunk of gesture politics so they'd have a come back ready whenever anyone complained they were doing nothing for the SE1 community.

I'm not really up on the market politics but having heard the the guy who runs it on Radio 4 recently he seems to symbolise everything that is wrong with modern society. His arrogant and combative style might work well in the private sector where the intended purpose is to bully and intimidate your competitors into submission but he seems to forget he is running a food market. Not a BRAND as the trustees so often like to refer it to, but a market which was once a cornerstone, for me at least, of the local community. He talks of 'ensuring the market's future financial viability' as reasoning behind the, how shall we say, 'less charitable' attitudes towards traders who have been there for years. But i'd really like to know - how much money do you need to run a market? It seemed to be doing fine for all the time i've been there, and then a couple of years ago it seemed to start acting more like a business that wanted to turn into a franchise.

The sudden desire to extract maximum value from the set up by the trustees - which kinda puts them in the James Goldsmith asset stripper league for me - demonstrates, in my eyes, a complete lack of awareness and knowledge of what the market means or meant to locals.

It really is sad to see something that once meant so much to me crumble into irrelevance. Good food should not be about being aspirational or elitist - it should be a part of everyone's everyday life. This is a golden rule that the trustees of BM have sadly ignored. The even sadder thing is - I have absolutely no idea what they have to gain from doing it.. Are they corrupt? Greedy? Think they're running a task on The Apprentice? Or just incompetent?

Anyone got any ideas?
Sunday 8 May 2011 3.49pm
Runningman have you read my post? do you want to do something?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions