London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 40
Sunday 8 May 2011 4.13pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Who are the trustees exactly?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/SearchResultHandler.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1076940

THE VERY REVD COLIN SLEE
MS ANNIE COLEMAN
MS DOROTHY BATES
MS KAREN HORSLEY
DR CELIA PALMER MB BS MRCS LRCP AFOM DA
MS PATRICIA BROWN
MR PETER WILKINSON
MR DONALD HYSLOP
MR TIM LANG

Although I would not that they are late in filing, so this list may be out of date. Their website indicates a slightly difference list of people - http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/page/3051/Trustees
Sunday 8 May 2011 4.43pm
Link to recent Radio 4 broadcast, well worth a listen if only for the BM Chair's admission of no experience of running a market, retail business, etc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010dfh3
Sunday 8 May 2011 4.49pm
therunningman wrote:
I'm not really up on the market politics but having heard the the guy who runs it on Radio 4 recently he seems to symbolise everything that is wrong with modern society. His arrogant and combative style might work well in the private sector where the intended purpose is to bully and intimidate your competitors into submission but he seems to forget he is running a food market.

I too listened to the Radio 4 programme a few weeks ago and I agree with therunningman, the BM manager was very arrogant and when he said recently that BM has lost it's way - yes it has and it happened when he was put in charge!
Sunday 8 May 2011 6.34pm
Easy solution.

Let the stall holders or ex stall holders run the market as they know how hard/easy it is to serve the community therefore it makes it a proper charity for the community. If they are not interested "bring on Maltby St or Druid St" etc.

The locals can actually get to the stall and buy which is what the stall holders want and need to make a living. It's not Disneyland!!!
Sunday 8 May 2011 6.56pm
I've removed a post from this thread which - whilst interesting - did not (in my opinion) comply with the rules of this forum.

This has the potential to be a really interesting discussion but I would urge people to focus on the issues rather than the individuals.

For what it's worth I approached Borough Market last week for a comment on the reported evictions, but the promised response has not yet materialised.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 8 May 2011 7.14pm
so it only your opinion... others would have wanted to hear it... as its down to "individuals"
Sunday 8 May 2011 7.29pm
boroughworker - I think most of what you said was perfectly reasonable and of legitimate interest to many local reisdents, but forums like this don't exist in a legal vacuum and it saves a lot of hassle for everyone if people are sensible about what they say.

I am prepared to go a long way to defend people's free speech about matters of public interest, but I am not comfortable with, for instance, remarks or insinuations about people's private lives.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 8 May 2011 7.39pm
so what you are trying to say... post again, without details/person lives, which i could do, but the the "MD of borough maket" which i will put in rather then a name is easy googled.
Sunday 8 May 2011 7.57pm
The slowness and the manner to with which BM respond to queries also has me running to the hills.. I will bet you an overpriced block of chocolate from the Hotel Chocolate chain.. erm sorry 'The Rabot Estate' (I heard they had to rename that one store on trustees say so so as not to let slip the trader's true, less humble, origins and rightly antagonise those who saw it as evidence of the market's creeping corporatisation), that you get an answer that would even the most evasive of our fine politicians would be proud of..

It will allude to 'initiatives', 'stakeholders' and 'community' and will no doubt be written in a manner more befitting a large financial services PR department than a local charity. But then again I might be wrong...
Sunday 8 May 2011 8.05pm
Gotta love the internet. So as per 'Boroughtraders' advice did 2 mins of googling and already came across a lawfirm's website that pretty much confirms what i'd heard in hearsay - namely that they are trying to up the rent like crazy for anyone who has been there for years:

http://www.lewiscraig.co.uk/blog/2011/02/18/saving-dough-at-borough-market/

57% increase in rent. That's either going to do two things:

(a) push up the prices of the goods to the consumers (Not good for us SE1ers) or..
(b) force the trader to leave so a more aggressively profit maximising one can take it's place... (Not good for use either unless you LOVE chains or overpriced poncey food joints)

People like DeGutibus are the people that made BM the success it sort of once was.

There's a big ol' load of dirt here for sure and i feel i've only just opened the lid. If i wasn't so busy i would trawl for hours...

Anyone else wanna play?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions